How to: Power Steering Flush (Video)

CGMKCM

Reaction score
Great job on the video and filming. I would discuss in the narrative the hydro boost brake system and why it is important to pump the brakes while changing the power steering fluid. I have seen where flushing was recommended every 40k miles. Again great job doing the filming and wrenching.

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
Great job on the video and filming. I would discuss in the narrative the hydro boost brake system and why it is important to pump the brakes while changing the power steering fluid. I have seen where flushing was recommended every 40k miles. Again great job doing the filming and wrenching.

Thank you. If you noticed, in the video I said I would NOT be using the steering wheel, but you will see me use the steering wheel twice. This is because I decided I wanted to get that fluid moving too, as well as the brakes.:thumbsup:

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
What do the brakes have to do with changing the power steering fluid?

The hydroboost system uses the same fluid from the "power steering pump" to assist in braking. Pumping the brakes while turning would ensure that all portions of the system were flushed. These motors do not use a vacuum booster as you would on a gas car, getting vacuum from the intake.

Tom S

Reaction score
In watching your video it looks like you only get fluid out of the system when you pump the brakes. What I have done on my OBS and other Fords in the past is pull the return off at the reservor and cap the nipple. I then extend the return hose to a drain container. I then use and air ratchet with an allen bit on it to spin the pump. That allows more control then doing it with the engine running although I have done that as well. It flushes out pretty quick when you do it this method. I am wondering if that combined with working the brack would work on a SD.

Zmann

Reaction score
it only discharges fluid when you turn the wheel or pump the brake atleast on mine I can't imagine the 7.3 is different

this makes it easy and lets you leave the truck run while you top off the fluid without fear of running the pump dry ,, I suggest jacking the front end up to relieve the tires scrubing when going lock to lock.

some of the new ford diesels went back to regular booster brakes and a vacuum pump = yuk

I used this procedure but I didn't need a helper on my 06
http://www.superdutypsd.com/power_steering_flush.php

Last edited:

Denver

Reaction score
I did this over the weekend on my 02. It only pumped fluid when I pumped the brakes. I did turn the wheel to one side and then put a quart through the system then turned the wheel to the other side and same thing. My fluid wasn't as dirty as I thought but I still used 4 quarts and noticed the brakes feel like they grab a little more aggresive. I didn't lift the front of the truck. I parked it on smooth concrete and squirted soapy water under the tires. This video was very helpful. Thanks for posting! This should be a sticky

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
I didn't lift the front of the truck. I parked it on smooth concrete and squirted soapy water under the tires. This video was very helpful
good one