00 Excursion 7.3 P1670 only Help!

Arnoldb.1

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2000 2wd Excursion with 7.3 and I’m getting a soft P1670 code. Truck starts and runs fine, but is fueling so hard I have to adjust my wastegate preload as loose as possible or the turbo chokes down and my egt stay super hot if my not easy with the throttle. A WOT hit it can get 1350+ EGT real quick.
Thoughts? I have AE and working through the alldata procedure for the P1670 code.
Truck parts break down:
Modded stock turbo with:
Hydra chip with ******** custom tunes
KCTurbos S300 turbine, High flow outlet, Compressor DIY kit 66/88/93mm Billet 6/6 wheel, 4” ported cover, Dieselsite turbomaster mechanical wastegate
Swamps 2.5 175/30 injectors
Comp 910 springs shimmed 1.74
Smith Bros pushrods
Adrenaline HPOP
Riff Raff Billet manifolds
Ported/polish spyder intake
4” turbo back exhaust turn down in front of axle
Below up pipes
HVLP oil pump
4 Riff Raff ported banjo bolts
Walbro GSL high pressure fuel pump
Riff Raff FRX with 60psi spring
Dieselsite Hercules Billet race trans with converter
External trans filter
Precision industries Billet flexplate
I’ve done a few more things but that’s the big highlights

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
How good of shape are your batteries and alternator in? Whats voltage at idle and if possible while driving? All grounds and connections good?

live life full throttle

Arnoldb.1

Reaction score
It would hit 30psi with the wastegate preload on the spring loose at over 2.5”
Batteries are new from autozone and battery voltage on my CTS2 shows 13.9V after start up at idle, while driving I’ve seen it go to 14.1V. Checked the grounds and cables looked good.

njjeep

Reaction score
Have you checked for boost leaks? Lots of places on these engines that leak. I got a boost leak detector it was money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arnoldb.1

Reaction score
Yeah, I found only one very small leak. I don’t think the issue isn’t the turbo not spooling, I think this soft code 1670 is over fueling the truck. Example I took the wastegate spring off and hung the wastegate wide open and it still made 28psi was a Smokey hot mess doing it but it did it with the gate wide open. Also the less preload on the wastegate spring the better the turbo spools. When I first did the injectors first of the year with 1”7/8” preload on the wastegate spring it would almost instantly hit 27psi and max boost at WOT 44psi and stay under 1200egt, now if I tried to preload it that tight it will bog the turbo down and sit around 8psi then jump up to 27psi at the top of the rpm.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
That makes no sense. More preload in the spring should have the opposite effect. Probably shouldn’t have enough fuel to over spin that turbo. When I had my 38r I had the WG adjusted so that it couldn’t open and didn’t have issues with 175/80’s.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Run a buzz test, key on engine off test, with ae. If that fails you’ve got a wiring problem or bad idm. If it passes replace the cps For piece of mind. Pull the hydra chip completely out and see if it helps. The code says there’s a communication problem between the pcm and idm. Nothing to do with the turbo or wastegate at all.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Run a buzz test, key on engine off test, with ae. If that fails you’ve got a wiring problem or bad idm. If it passes replace the cps For piece of mind. Pull the hydra chip completely out and see if it helps. The code says there’s a communication problem between the pcm and idm. Nothing to do with the turbo or wastegate at all.
What he said^^^

live life full throttle

Arnoldb.1

Reaction score
I did the buzz test it passed, all the injectors sounded perfectly the same. I took the chip out removed the tunes and reloaded only a couple still no change. Did a data log on AE and sent it to ******** they wanted to see Mass Fuel Desired and said everything was good.
@PSD POWER007 yeah makes no sense, I’m still using the stock .84 A/R housing, but have a 1.0 gated housing I can try. Still searching and testing. I know the code is a communication error between the pcm and IDM. I was just noting how the turbo and fueling is acting right now cause of the communication error that’s going on.

Arnoldb.1

Reaction score
Also I’ve tried 2 different cps, one from the dealer, and the other is a Ford dark grey w/purple O ring. No change. Also, the valve cover harnesses are new along with the GPCM.

Arnoldb.1

Reaction score
The Valve cover harnesses are from Ford. Will running the truck without the chip mess up the single shot 175/30 injectors?

Arnoldb.1

Reaction score
Aight been a minute, but had a rear axle issue and had to rebuild it, so I finally did the wiring test per alldata, found nothing really, except when doing step FJ11 Battery ground and pcm test pin 48, it wouldn’t read resistance, would only flash it for a sec on the ohm meter. Makes no sense, cause it says if ohms are below 10k repair short but pin 48 in the pcm goes directly to pin 4 on the IDM and nothing splices into it.
FJ12 check is for short to power, and ask to voltage check same pins with key on, I had voltage on both pin 48 and 95 on the PCM, say to repair short but again no clue what causing it other than something in the IDM. Cause the two pins single wire directly into the IDM plug nowhere else.
I am running the truck and did test without the hydra chip.
Truck starts right up without hard cranking like with the hydra.

Arnoldb.1

Reaction score
Drove it tonight, rough idle, ran ok if I kept it under 22% throttle, didn’t see smoke but was dark. I cranked it twice and let it idle and scanned with AE and didn’t get code. Going to run it tomorrow see if it produces code

dsberman94

Reaction score
Chip is the problem. They do come bad every so often. Call whoever you got it from and talk to them. See if they can get you a replacement. Either that or your pcm connections aren’t good where the chip plugs in or the tunes are way bad. Since you talked to the tuning company i would lean more toward a bad chip.

Latest posts

Members online