Overheating and Fan Not Running

bigwheel

Reaction score
I am having some heat issues with my 08 450. When we are towing the oil temp runs pretty steady at 230 when climbing a hill. Coolant is near that, but no more than 10 deg. difference. Seems like every hill we climb we have to refill the degas bottle from it blowing out the top. I check the coolant system and installed a new cap, all seems to be working properly. The one thing I have noticed was that the fan never really seems to run very often. The fan might run for 10 sec at a time.
The truck is an 08 450 4.30, egr and *** del. ******* tuning.

Seeing what you think might be somethings to check with the fan and or why the truck is getting so hot?

Thanks

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
When I towed with my '08, the clutch fan would lock up at 224* and stay on until it was about 210* or lower. I'd guess your clutch is acting up.

Sent from a cloud of black.

White_monster

Reaction score
If you blowing coolant out of the deals tank you have blown head gaskets. Is the gauge on the dash reading in the red? 230 is hot but not over heating range.

sootie

Reaction score
08s had a typical issue of the wiring harness that runs along under the rad support chafing and causing fan issues. But ya, I could see if it puked once in a hot scenario it could be blamed on flash boiling but if it consistently pukes, my money is on a head gasket issue

bigwheel

Reaction score
I thought possible head gasket issue as well. I pulled the coolant cap off and checked piston pressure. Did not see any signs of what I would think would be head gasket. How is the best ways to check for head gasket issues?
I gauge on the dash seems to stay pretty straight up and not move over to the red.

White_monster

Reaction score
If coolant pukes out of the coolant tank when you load the engine up the head gaskets are done. You can try a new coolant tank cap. Otherwise replace the gaskets.

bigwheel

Reaction score
Well I just took it into a diesel repair shop. They are going to check for head gasket leak and look over the whole truck if there are any other issues. Will let you know what they find.

bigwheel

Reaction score
You guys were right. The head gaskets are going out. Is this something relative do able on these trucks or just pay a shop to do the work? I have done a lot a wrenching and motor swaps just don't know how hard this job is.

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online