swapping a single injector

rrchlin

Reaction score
Hey all if I swap a single injector, can I just remove that cylinder's glowplug and crank it over to get the fuel and oil out of the cylinder without removing the other 3 as well?

I have 3 failed cylinders on a cylinder contribution test and just got 3 used injectors. I'm going to swap cylinder 1 1st

mandkole

Reaction score
Sure, swap the injector and crank with the injs turned off, gp out. Put the valve cover on before cranking..

Reaction score
You will also get the fuel rail draining in too. I would rotate the engine by hand using a breaker bar with the cylinder's glowplug out before using the starter to crank it (if it were me, I would MightyVac the fluid out first). Cheers!

Reaction score
It all depends on how much time you want to spend. I have a vacuum set up with a piece of 3/16 brake tubing on the end of the hose that will fit through the injector hole and reach down into the piston bowl and suck all the oil out.
I still spin it over without the glow plug.

If I'm doing a set I drain the oil rails through the little plug under the valve cover, and also blow through and drain out all the fuel.

After vacuuming all the piston bowls I assemble everything. I crank it over with the glow plugs and oil rail plugs out, fuel system assembled. (IDM fuse pulled) When oil rails are full reinstall rail plugs, and glow plugs. Crank a little bit, then install IDM fuse. It will start like there was nothing done. No driving the crap out of it for 10 miles to clear the air out. It just runs normally. For me so far this has worked great.

Latest posts

Members online