headgaskets gone BAD!

STROKER

Reaction score
Hey now smart azz lol wouldn't u be able to hear it knocking though, or would u get a contribution code.

Reaction score
funny thing is they can be tricky to diagnose short of doing a visual. generally if its bent its very visible from the pics people have posted

STROKER

Reaction score
Yeah what I did was when I pulled the heads I took all the push rods and rolled em on a flat table and u could see if they were bent at all

Johnboy3

Reaction score
Just a thought, is the map sensor connected to the manifold and reading properly? Those big sticks might give enough fuel to start spooling the turbo but the pcm is limiting fuel because it sees no boost. Should give a light though.

STROKER

Reaction score
I checked the MAP and its hooked up hose isn't cut and the sensors plugged in the only code its throwing is for IAT high

STROKER

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys ill pull the sensor and clean it with electric cleaner, and I'm pretty sure all my boots are fine but ill check em and report back haha

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
You said you normally run 40psi and now you're only pushing 20psi? I don't get the High IAT code. Is there any possibility that somehow the turbo is leaking exhaust thru to the intake side from the exhaust side? I know thats a lllooonnnngggg shot, but.......

worldwide73

Reaction score
Did you have tunes before or running stock? Maybe the new tune is sending a mis-guided signal to you stock boost gauge. I'm getting to get and aftermarket boost gauge because stock gauges aren't accurate on tunes most of the time.

DMAX

Reaction score
Did you have tunes before or running stock? Maybe the new tune is sending a mis-guided signal to you stock boost gauge. I'm getting to get and aftermarket boost gauge because stock gauges aren't accurate on tunes most of the time.

The truck has an Quad pillar with an aftermarket boost gauge, which is showing 20psi max, The livewire also only was showing a max of about 20psi.

STROKER

Reaction score
Alright guys I cleaned the map sensor with electric cleaner and that didn't fix it I checked the boots and can't see a tear, and the turbo is fine I've ran it with out the intake and theirs nothing coming through, and it does have a quad pillar with a boost gauge and its only showing 20. The pass side up pipe has a little leak but I don't think its bad enough to cause an issue.

Johnboy3

Reaction score
I had a truck doing almost the same thing yesterday. Turned out the maf sensor was fubared. Your IAT code is a hint that it may be a problem. You can simply unplug the maf sensor and it will run right. Have you tried that yet?

DMAX

Reaction score
The boost problem is fixed. When re-installing I didnt tighten down the intake elbow completely, just hand tight. So that problem was an intake leak. We are still trying to fix a bad exhaust leak, we think its somewhere around the flange for the Y pipe or a crack in one of the bellows. It deffinatly smokes too much under the hood to keep the air filter clean.

STROKER

Reaction score
Haha way to fess up jonsey, the elbow was loose and the hotside ic pipe had a little slice by one of the rings. Thanks again for all the help guys glad to have her running again!

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
When you put the new heads on, were they torn down and decked before you installed them? We have seen up to .003 difference across the short side of the head!! Multi-layer gaskets don't like that kind of variance. The change to hybrids would make some tuning changes needed but would not keep it from making boost. Like was stated above, you are gonna need some more miles to get the air worked out and the injectors running smoothly. The extended crank/quick shutoff is normal for injector swaps.

STROKER

Reaction score
I believe the heads were fine they came new from ford, I did get new tunes for the hybrids, the trucks running fine now minus an ex leak that hopefully ill get around to fixin in the next day or so, hopefully gonna hook her to the sled on Sunday and see how she does!

Latest posts

Members online