S472sxe and 350/200 build

7.3obs

Reaction score
Started my build beginning of last month, motor was out of a 97 van. I started with stripping the motor down, adding head studs, beehives, valve stem seals, (full force)injectors, valve springs. Cleaned it up some. Welded cam gear,my mig needs a new tip. While I was there I replaced oil rail plugs and some other seals
f9a2e7ae5409f725e5e2ab756d1256b2.jpg

cd73a2ba0cf536a656bd451110c1c335.jpg

Valves springs aren't much fun either, had a stock one compressed and it blew out of my compressor and hit me in the gut. Things are like little bombs if you don't get the compressor on just right.

Next I installed the timing cover, intake plenums, front timing cover and oil pan, found out that the gray death I had was about half a year old and took it all back apart and picked up a tube from ford. Got the turbo bolted on and the stealth twins. Added some paint, not a fan of the shade of red but owell.
1edf51bf4b9eeba4985c6ffec921981f.jpg

Bolted up my bts that finally came out of storage for a little over a year!
56be0eef5c11d0da9baa59053f3a2c6e.jpg

That billet wheel is pretty d@mn wicked!

A friend of mine and I started to drop it in. Find out you can't put the motor in with the turbo on, not even the exhaust housing. After some time and finagling we got in it. I've pulled and put 3 motors in in my life. Never had one be this stubborn but we got it.
c24125f91c6f96a8e56ac72fe10cda5a.jpg
riff raff a hpop spacer is pretty nice too, the two inside bolts for the turbo are no fun at all! Had to cut a wrench to get in there. My knuckles are a little banged up.

Got around to the fuel system. Fuel lab pump is pretty loud but owell, went with a 35 gallon tank along with a full force sump, wasn't too crazy about the sump design of just one bolt but it's in there now. Before I put sending unit in I'm going to reach in and put a nut on it so I don't have to worry about it loosening up on me, added some gray death on the oring too for a piece of mind. Got some more work to do with the tank, no stores had the right hardware I needed to get this thing bolted in today.

Pump set up I dreamt up. Forgot to order 1/2 npt with 8an for the second filter, Those will be here this week along with the right exhaust back pressure tube. Switching to the superduty location on the front timing cover.

1032720169e7ad383cbe649dc6ffa799.jpg

Hose is ran into 5 gallons of diesel so I could hear it run. Ran pump off a four wheeler battery I had laying around. Around 8:30 lastnight it started. Took a little bit of cranking but when I saw the oil pressure gauge jump up I knew it was golden. I was one happy camper to head it run.

I'll be posting back more as I need this thing going down the road before Friday, still need to get some stuff painted, intercooler put in, wire fuel pump up, driveshafts and buttoning everything back up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7.3obs

Reaction score
Yes stock bottom end. Went with gear head Hopefully it stays together

7.3obs

Reaction score
Got it out on the road today, blew intercooler boot off about the third rip. My thermostat housing is leaking, typical 7.3 issue. Transmission shifts awesome!! Matts tunes are a bit smokey and it runs pretty damn hot! Had it over 1500*

But I have never driven or have went for a ride in anything like this. After 10 pounds turbo hits hard! I love it!

Finish product
304add79217afc14f8bbfcfaad33d3d5.jpg

7.3obs

Reaction score
I don't think I have any exhaust leaks or boost leaks. Makes 55 pounds no problem. Think my next investment is a hydra so I don't have to wait for my ts to be shipped out and come back.

David N

Reaction score
Ive ran Matt's tunes for almost ten years now, and mine has always been more smokey and had higher egts than others, and I've always credited it to the retarded timing which is what he does to keep rods living!

Im sure he would change things just like he has done for me many times, but you will find that his run the best by far.

superpsd

Reaction score
Hydra is the way to go. Retarded timing does increase EGTs but does lower CP and keeps stuff intact.

7.3obs

Reaction score
why the rev limiter? were you shifting manually?

No, not shifting manually. Not sure why it hits the rev limiter. Might be tuning. I got my thermostat leak fixed but the gasket for the water pump needs to be replaced. I must've pinched it. After I get that fixed I'm going to take it out and try other tunes more. See if it still does it. I think I'm going to get a hydra from ******** with different tunes in the near future.

7.3obs

Reaction score
Going to get my antifreeze leak fixed. Some miles on it trying the other tunes. See what happens. But I'm more than likely going to order a hydra this weekend from Matt.

7.3obs

Reaction score
Gotta be in the tuning? My street tune is doing the same and very very rarely my economy/tow tune. I'm going to call Matt tomorrow and get a hydra in the mail. Tell him my issues.

7.3obs

Reaction score
Hydra from ge@rhead is ordered. Told them my problem with the rev limiter. Said they will have it dialed in and in the mail. I need to ditch my glowshift gauges and get some better quality ones is on the list as well!

7.3obs

Reaction score
Kinda got my eye on the edge cts 2 system. Gotta do some more research on it before I do spend the money.

sootie

Reaction score
Kinda got my eye on the edge cts 2 system. Gotta do some more research on it before I do spend the money.

Last i read the available pids were quite slim on the older trucks. Make sure you read the pid list to ensure it has what you want on it. Now of course if you are planning on using the EAS system then you add whatever you want...

Latest posts

Members online