Has anyone painted plastic parts on seats?

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
I just ordered new black leather to replace my grey cloth on my seats. I'm trying to decide if I want to mess with painting the plastic at the base of the seat black instead of grey. or if I want to just order the black plastic and change it out.

Has anyone painted these parts? My main concern it scuffing. Pics would be great if you have them. Here are a couple pics of what's on there now:

greyside2.png

greyside.png

TripleE44

Reaction score
I haven't done it personally but I had one of the guys at a stereo shop I made stickers at re color some of the plastic pieces to match some speaker pods they made me. Long story short he used dye. Said it penetrates better. No idea what brand or anything like that at all as I didn't watch him do it but hopefully that points you in a good direction.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
I can buy the two side pieces for the front seats at the dealer. They are identical to the ones in the pictures except black. I have a hookup over at the Ford dealership, he told me $178 for both sides.

I didnt even think about it till I opened the back door today but I need to get prices on the pieces for the back seats too.

John

Reaction score
If I was to paint it, I would use this stuff.
http://www.bryndana.com/

Basically Scuff with scotchbrite, acetone, adhesion promoter, color. Stuff seems tough on what I have used it on so far.

Enoch

Reaction score
Depending on what you want you end results to be.
Smooth and glossy like the paint on a vehicle or textured and satin like what you have but black?

Smooth and glossy like the paint:
Sand
Clean (degreaser/prep and then wipe with lint free towel to make sure it's dry)
Adhesion Promoter (Bulldog, comes either for a gun or in a shaker can)
Primer/Sealer
Basecoat
Clearcoat

Textured and satin like what you have but black.
Scuff with red scuff pad super duper good where you want the paint to stick
clean (degreaser and then wipe with lint free towel to make sure it's dry)
Adhesion Promoter
SEM Interior Paint (Comes in shaker can and comes in either flat, glossy, or satin.)

average

Reaction score
I've tried some of the krylon fusion on interior parts and it worked well with good prep unless it was something in a high traffic area of sorts. Anything that got rubbed etc. often enough wore through or scratched. I didn't clear coat however.

About 10 years ago or so I dyed the interior of my explorer and that held up really good, unsure of the name, I'm sure if it wasn't the SEM stuff that's available now it was damn close to it. I even dyed the leather and it held up unless scratched DEEP!

2582760002_large.jpg

Yeah.. I was in high school at the time, circa 1998-99 so disregard the homo graphic at the bottom and the girlfriends bean thing.... ugh :doh: You can be impressed by my uber cool car phone though! LOL

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
I personally have painted interior parts in the past with the krylon paint, but I have heard of guys using dye to color their parts.

average

Reaction score
Coming from a guy who's painted and dyed... just buy the factory stuff in the color you want lol.

jdc753

Reaction score
I used SEM spray on my 08 console when I put it in.

Before,
DSC02381.jpg

After,
DSC02676.jpg

Here is a link to the product, http://www.eastwood.com/graphite-interior-paint-aerosol-12-oz-net.html

Overall I am very happy with it, however it has scratched through a little on the drivers side next to the seat belt. I am thinking this stuff is pretty much simply a paint more so than a dye, I had hoped for better, but for scuffs and cleaning it up and such it is great. I clean the console like any other plastic in the truck and it cleans up just as nice and doesn't loose any color or change, but if it were to get a good deep scratch it will show the native color.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
I would try painting or dye save yourself a few bucks if it doesn't work out u didn't lose much.

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
The key to painting any plastic pieces is the proper prep work. Plastics naturally "off gas" throughout their life and this can cause paint to bubble and chip and flake off. After properly scuffing the surface with a scotch brite or other product, clean with with a product that will leave ZERO residue (denature alcohol works the best). The most important step to this process is next. Use an adhesion promoter that is designed for plastic and should claim that it "seals plastic" on the label. Once this is done, any automotive primer and paint can be used without any issues. The brand I have used for the last 6 or 7 years is made by Bully Dog and comes in a bluish/grey can with purple lettering.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.