Fuel Filter 'kit', is it worth it?

TrickTruck

Reaction score
It's fuel filter time again. Stealer wants $200 for the job. I've paid it in the past, but this time I'm thinking: do it myself.

Should I just get OEM filters or move over to the H&S $150 kit (or similar?)

Does the aftermarket kit go in front of the OEM or replace it entirely?

Does it filter better? or same, just cheaper replacements?

Pro / Con this one for me please.

Jomax

Reaction score
OEM filters cost about 100$

The H&S filter kit replaces the upper fuel filter. The replacement filter costs about 20$ and then you need to buy a lower filter. AFE sells the lower filter for about 25$ on Amazon. That's what I've been running since new.

So your filter cost gets cut in half if you go with the H&S kit. Filtering is the same, you gain nothing in that aspect.

I mainly bought the H&S kit because I thought it would get rid of my whine aT idle. It didn't.

Honestly, if I'd do it again. I'd stick with the ford factory filters. Changing the upper filter is way easier vs the H&S kit.

To recoup the money on the H&S kit, it would take you 45k miles if you follow the factory Interval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horsemover

Reaction score
You can pick up the MC kit for $50/$60 with free shipping. My dealer only charges $57.99 for the kit so it's a no brainer for me.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
The factory filter has a tighter micron rating than HS if my memory serves me correct in the first place....

I buy my filters at Oriellys. Motorcraft. $80.

redneck1

Reaction score
I just checked Amazon and $57.08 with free shipping right now.

That's what I do. Got a prime membership anyway for the kids.

One thing to watch with the spin on fuel filters when replacing hs kit, is not all filters are the same. Have seen a lot of wix filters rated nominal whereas ford rates theirs absolute.

KCCO

CATDiezel

Reaction score
No they dont. 2 is 2.

Not sure what your getting at but every catalog i have looked at says the bf filter is a 10 micron. The factory is a 4. Donaldson and wix also 10.

All rated nominal... however. Baldwin will not disclose whether they are nominal or absolute for the bf7967

Ford's is 95% efficient ato 4 micron....

Feel free to correct where wrong.

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
I get oil, oil filter and fuel filters off amazon save some $$$

what this guy said X1000. I don't particularly care for Amazon but their prices are always cheaper and the stuff arrives within 2-3 days usually. I picked up fuel filters and oil filters for like $70+ or so last time shipped to the house. Changing the fuel filters really isn't that difficult either, just a slow process. FYI if you aren't used to changing your own oil, you may want to order a good filter strap wrench (my Motorcraft filters have always required some decent torquing to stop the leaking). But I picked up a Reed cast iron filter strap wrench with nylon strap for like $30 off amazon as well. I truck it alot more than a flimsy plastic lever with rubber strap combo. And in our line of work those things never last.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Not sure what your getting at but every catalog i have looked at says the bf filter is a 10 micron. The factory is a 4. Donaldson and wix also 10.

All rated nominal... however. Baldwin will not disclose whether they are nominal or absolute for the bf7967

Ford's is 95% efficient ato 4 micron....

Feel free to correct where wrong.
rating are ratings,why try to market a kit,that has LOWER efficiency rating than stock,and get offended when the facts are facts?

sootie

Reaction score
rating are ratings,why try to market a kit,that has LOWER efficiency rating than stock,and get offended when the facts are facts?

Why don't you quit being such a ***king douche? If you aren't slamming someone you are selling something in the classifieds. Pretty much useless to this site imo...

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I'm a huge HS Motor sports fan.... but I'm either mis-reading something or whatever. The filter HS comes with is a baldwin bf7967..... either that or a wix 33xxxxx. Whatever. I even found a donaldson cross reference to it.

All were 10 micron. Ford's is 4 micron at 95% efficiency.

Cost is generally directly related to micron rating. Anything less than at or equal to 4 micron and the price Sky rockets generally in order to keep in the "high efficiency" rating category.

I did consider buying the kit myself. I just want a filter that's 4 micron... I cannot find one that's not too tall to fit.

Either way the kit HS makes and sells is high quality bar none. Whether you purchase the complete LP system or just the secondary filter kit.

Feel free to correct where I'm missing something. I'm human and wide open.

Last edited:

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Why don't you quit being such a ***king douche? If you aren't slamming someone you are selling something in the classifieds. Pretty much useless to this site imo...
Can you DISPUTE the Micron ratings tough guy???

Latest posts

Members online