fuel in the oil?

fubolislif22

Reaction score
new hpfp or re-manufactured?

I'm not sure, I'm thinking a reman pump.

Anyone know a good site to buy a kit off of for a good price? Not looking to purchase thru a dealer. This is incase there are no leaks under the valve covers. I drained the oil until it showed full. So it is ends up rising ill have to take it to the mechanic on Thursday so he can double check for leaks under the valves, if that turns up clean then it has to be the HPFP seal, right? Just wanna be prepared :(

Last edited:

fubolislif22

Reaction score
just because it was from Ford doesnt mean its not reman. Did it have a siemens tag or a continental tag.

This is do not have an answer for, all I know if that it was replaced with the shortblock about 15k miles ago. So it's new in the sense of being abused/mileage. I'm just pissed about getting all the lines/sensors replaced under the valve covers and STILL the truck is creating oil in the crankcase. Like I said I plan on dropping it off Thursday so he can remove the valve covers to double check his work, but am I looking at the HPFP being the only other alternative if under the valve covers check out ok? Trying to be prepared if that's the case, any reliable sites to order a kit off of that would be cheaper then FORD? Love the truck, but this blows... What are the odds that both locations are leaking, unbelievable :hammer:

Oh and BTW, I've done plenty of research and it seems that you can really identify a leaky HPFP seal, so if the covers check out OK then its got to be the HPFP, right?

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with locating a shaft seal kit/oring for the HPFP, the pump is still good but obviously the seal is leaking fuel into the oil. Does anyone make a kit for this, makes no sense to buy a whole new HPFP is just the seal is bad, right?

White_monster

Reaction score
Find a place that sells skf seals or Timken bearings, no auto one isn't going to help you. Typically it'll be an industrial type store. Take the pump to them and they can measure and look up the seal you need based on the size. I'd ask for viton material or something that is designed for fuel and high heat. A double lip seal is sufficient. I have done this before but I don't have a part number.

fubolislif22

Reaction score
So the diesel mechanic got a hold of me and stated there were NO leaks under the valve covers and decided to drain the oil to do a low pressure test on the HPFP. It ended up consistently dripping when he ran the test so he's pulling the cab to get the pump tested. Worst case scenario came true :cursing:. Hopefully its just the seal and not the whole HPFP (15k miles old). With the symptoms what do you think I'm looking at here, just a new seal? truck ran perfectly fine so I would assume the pump is still good?

Thanks,

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Good luck finding a tech that will warranty changing the seal. Way to much liability for engine damage if it failed.

Actually have a mechanic who is currently working on the truck, cabs off and the pump is a an injection shop being tested, and he warranty's his work for a decent amount of time/miles. There was a consistent drip from the oil plug when the low pressure was forced on. Situation does suck because I got everything under the valve covers sealed up two weeks BEFORE this.... :fustrate:

Jonnydime

Reaction score
So the diesel mechanic got a hold of me and stated there were NO leaks under the valve covers and decided to drain the oil to do a low pressure test on the HPFP. It ended up consistently dripping when he ran the test so he's pulling the cab to get the pump tested. Worst case scenario came true :cursing:. Hopefully its just the seal and not the whole HPFP (15k miles old). With the symptoms what do you think I'm looking at here, just a new seal? truck ran perfectly fine so I would assume the pump is still good?

Thanks,
How old is the pump?

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Fairly new, about 15k miles on it. My guess was when it was installed, it wasn't installed correctly... Could be multiple other factors, I just want it to be fixed so there is no dilution in my oil.

sootie

Reaction score
Fairly new, about 15k miles on it. My guess was when it was installed, it wasn't installed correctly... Could be multiple other factors, I just want it to be fixed so there is no dilution in my oil.

installation has nothing to do with a shaft seal leaking...

Jonnydime

Reaction score
So is that 2 months or 10 years?
I don't tell people my age by telling them how many miles I have walked LOL LOL LOL

fubolislif22

Reaction score
So is that 2 months or 10 years?
I don't tell people my age by telling them how many miles I have walked LOL LOL LOL

I believe 1-2 years old, the fella I bought it off of had a new short block installed so a new HPFP was also installed (ford OEM).

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Ford parts have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Get with the previous owner and see if he has the paperwork for it.

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Ford parts have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Get with the previous owner and see if he has the paperwork for it.

You are right, I just spoke with the original owner and he gave me the number to the dealership he got it from. They remember selling him the part for his truck but they said that since it was a parts ticket number it stays in the system for 6 months and they cant produce the original invoice. They said if I can get the original receipt from the old owner they would cover the part under warranty. Not sure if he has it or not, any other way I can get around this??

fubolislif22

Reaction score

UPDATE, the mechanic doing the work on my truck got my HPFP replaced for free under warranty. I was not expecting this, as any other mechanic would have probably pocketed the $$. The pump was less than two years old and I'm ecstatic about a new pump being put in and not just a seal replacement. Looks like I saved about $1600 in parts! :rockon:

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Watch the oil level. The seals are known to fail even new. There has been ppl going through 3-4 pumps before getting a good one. Good news on warranty though.

Will do, just got the truck back yesterday. I will watch the level and post back with results.

Latest posts

Members online