Brakes staying engaged, HeLp

7.3dieselMike

Reaction score
1997 F-250 4x4

When I press down on the brakes then let up on the pedal it does not come up with my foot anymore. Brakes continue to be engaged and slowly disengage.
Master cylinder's fluid is full.

Who knows what could be wrong?
Thanks.

79jasper

Reaction score
Most likely a rubber line is collapsed inside, sliders need greasing, piston sticking, or rear shoes catching on the backing plate.
If it doesn't do it in reverse or releases from backing, it's probably the shoes sticking.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

s10mike

Reaction score
i changed everything in my whole brake system. one part at a time, when mine was doing this. it was the master cylinder. it must be common, cause my bros 99 has been changed, my budies 99, and 03 have been changed also. i would bet $100 that your master cyl. is all rusted where the rod goes into the back of it. not allowing it to release. i spent alot of time and money chasing that problem, so i hope this helps.

Reaction score
My symptoms were similar on my 94 (brake pedal was delayed in return), but not as pronounced. Like powerstrokefirefighter, I replaced the booster and it solved it for me. Cheers!

SPEEDDEMON31176

Reaction score
Another possibility is that your windshield is leaking and water got onto the pedal assembly and rusted it. It happened to me. I took the pedal assembly out and cleaned and greased it. Problem solved. Not saying that is your issue but it is possible.