Best shop manual

pizzacoma

Reaction score
Hi-
I need to invest in the best shop manual I can get for my

2002 7.3 f250 4x4 PSD SD lariat (410,000 miles) etc etc etc

What do y'all recommend for the wannabe do it yourselfer

Thank you very much

I have to replace suspension (with bilstein 5100s)

And

Brake pads

And flush coolant (never done this before)
International red coolant with special treatment in it to prevent Cali-something?

And need to change transmission fluid.
Shifting a tiny bit rough in my higher hp settings on 6pos chip.

I welcome and VERY MUCH appreciate experienced input!

Maximum appreciation.

Shalom

ghohouston

Reaction score
changing your transmission fluid (if it hasn't been done in like 100k miles) it a bad idea. you will lose all the clutch material in the fluid, and start having issues, if your'e not already having trans issues. you dont need a shop manual to tell you how to do basic things, just a little common sense, and possibly some google searching. plenty of guys on this site and others (to some extent) that have the knowledge and experience to help you with whatever you need.

Reaction score
changing your transmission fluid (if it hasn't been done in like 100k miles) it a bad idea. you will lose all the clutch material in the fluid, and start having issues, if your'e not already having trans issues. you dont need a shop manual to tell you how to do basic things, just a little common sense, and possibly some google searching. plenty of guys on this site and others (to some extent) that have the knowledge and experience to help you with whatever you need.

I'm pretty sure mark (former ford transmission engineer) said that's completely wrong. Not trying to start a argument just passing along what I read.

old man dave

Reaction score
Just buy the original one from ford.

You can find the print Helms (Ford) manuals on ebay for around $250 for a complete set for F250/350. These manuals are the best out there.

There are DVD ripoff copys available also a lot cheaper on ebay. The content is the same as the print manuals.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure mark (former ford transmission engineer) said that's completely wrong. Not trying to start a argument just passing along what I read.

If Mark Kovalsky said it, ill believe it. what i do know, ive seen several higher mileage trucks where trans fluid wasnt changed regularly, or ever for that matter, and someone decided to change it, and soon after, issues arrise. I always assumed it was due to the clutch material. I very well could be wrong though.

pizzacoma

Reaction score
You can find the print Helms (Ford) manuals on ebay for around $250 for a complete set for F250/350. These manuals are the best out there.

There are DVD ripoff copys available also a lot cheaper on ebay. The content is the same as the print manuals.

That's pretty expensive. Geez. Ok I'm looking- thank you

pizzacoma

Reaction score
If Mark Kovalsky said it, ill believe it. what i do know, ive seen several higher mileage trucks where trans fluid wasnt changed regularly, or ever for that matter, and someone decided to change it, and soon after, issues arrise. I always assumed it was due to the clutch material. I very well could be wrong though.

This is an interesting concept, that a change could make problems worse. I def wanna avoid That. How could we get to the bottoms of this? Anyone know how to get I touch with mark kovalsky?

For an older trans., with that many miles (410k) is there a fluid y'all'd recommend and any sort of additive. Like I said it's slipping a little. that's in the higher hp settings on my 6pos chip. When I kick the throttle.

Thank you!

Arisley

Reaction score
That's probably your torque converter. The 4R100 in it's factory form does not like life at higher than stock horsepower. You probably need an overhaul and beef it up some. If you think a couple hundred for manuals is bad, you are going to hate the price of a trans overhaul.

Welcome to the wonderful world of horsepower and torque.

pizzacoma

Reaction score
That's probably your torque converter. The 4R100 in it's factory form does not like life at higher than stock horsepower. You probably need an overhaul and beef it up some. If you think a couple hundred for manuals is bad, you are going to hate the price of a trans overhaul.

Welcome to the wonderful world of horsepower and torque.

I wanna keep things running right but I don't need high performance wheel - spinning hp. That being said, do I need to replace the torque converter or have it replaced? Or serviced? I'm more interested in efficiency and longevity than anything.

Recommendations?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

old man dave

Reaction score
Found 2002 F250/350 Service Manual set DVDs on ebay for $38-43. Nice thing about DVDs is you can print out the page you want and use it in the shop without getting the manual all greasy.

Make sure its a truck set for the right years.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.