IH water pump with filter.

Big Bore

Reaction score
What's wrong with using the t-stat that International designed the motor to have in the first place?

I'm not positive on the specifics of this, but the advantages of having a conventional diesel engine at an optimum temperature to facilitate a better combustion have to be weighed against the side effects of using oil that is 8 degrees warmer in the injectors/HPO system of the 7.3 Powerstroke, which (especially in the case of dual/higher flow pumps) becomes even hotter, and is then dumped back into the crankcase into oil that is already 8 degrees hotter, which then raises the temperature, which is then run back into the HPO reservoir, through the injectors again, etc etc etc...

Ford changed the t-stat for a reason. So I guess at that point you have to decide whether to go with Ford engineers or International engineers. Finding out why Ford changed it would be a good place to start, but I'm betting it's related to the HPO system.

AZStang

Reaction score
I noticed last night that I have a small coolant leak coming from the little ball valve on my pump. The one that shuts off the flow to the filter so you can change it. I called the manufacturer, http://www.geomarheavyduty.com/onlinecatalog/WaterPumps/Navistar7p3.htm, and was told the only fix is to replace the pump. He said the pumps with the little ball valves are a poor design and prone to leak. When we began our conversation, he assumed I had just installed the pump and told me to exchange it for another one. He seemed surprised when I told him it was 3 years old and had 30,000 miles on it.

Anyone else run into this yet?

Shawn

Peroni

Reaction score
I noticed last night that I have a small coolant leak coming from the little ball valve on my pump. The one that shuts off the flow to the filter so you can change it. I called the manufacturer, http://www.geomarheavyduty.com/onlinecatalog/WaterPumps/Navistar7p3.htm, and was told the only fix is to replace the pump. He said the pumps with the little ball valves are a poor design and prone to leak. When we began our conversation, he assumed I had just installed the pump and told me to exchange it for another one. He seemed surprised when I told him it was 3 years old and had 30,000 miles on it.

Anyone else run into this yet?

Shawn

Never heard of this before, I know mine is not leaking. It does not look like that a big a deal to remove the valve cylinder and replace the o rings on it with something that will take the heat better.

AZStang

Reaction score
I called my Navistar dealer and they can get the valve assembly pretty cheap, but nobody in the shop there has ever replaced one. The manufacturer said it was pressed in. My fear would be that once out, it would no longer stay pressed in.

Shawn

Tom S

Reaction score
I would also be concerned that the valve on the copy one is not exact to the original

Peroni

Reaction score
I called my Navistar dealer and they can get the valve assembly pretty cheap, but nobody in the shop there has ever replaced one. The manufacturer said it was pressed in. My fear would be that once out, it would no longer stay pressed in.

Shawn

The valve can't be pressed in otherwise it wouldn't be able to turn. IIRC there is a retaining clip that holds it in but its been a while since I put my pump on.

I would not trust what the manufacturer says. Likely the only person who knows exactly how that valve is assembled is the guy who designed it and the guy who assembled it! <-- Very typical with manufacturers in my experience!

AZStang

Reaction score
The valve can't be pressed in otherwise it wouldn't be able to turn. IIRC there is a retaining clip that holds it in but its been a while since I put my pump on.

I would not trust what the manufacturer says. Likely the only person who knows exactly how that valve is assembled is the guy who designed it and the guy who assembled it! <-- Very typical with manufacturers in my experience!

You are correct! I took a look tonight with an inspection mirror and there is a small snap ring on the outside. Probably have to pull the fan to make enough room for access, but I should be able to get it out and replace the o-rings now.

Thanks!
Shawn

AZStang

Reaction score
Well the bearing in my pump let go sometime in the past two weeks, so I never did try to change the valve out. It went in a hurry too. I had no leaks at the weep hole two weeks ago and there was a huge amount of play in the shaft when I took it apart this weekend. I'm glad I caught it when I did.

This pump was a new unit manufactured by Geomar Heavy Duty. It lasted 3.5 years and almost exactly 30,000 miles. I don't know if that's normal or not, but I'm not very impressed with that life.

Anyway, I bought the new pump at International. Price was $215 and it is a new build. The box it came in said PartSmart on the side. The guy behind the counter said it was a new supplier International is using in order to be more competitive on price. Hopefully it will last longer than the last one. I also found this site when searching for a replacement. I don't know anything about them though.

I did pull the little valve out of my old pump after I had it on the bench. It is pretty straight forward and only has a snap ring and a single o-ring sealing it. Should be easy to the replace the o-ring if anyone ever needs to.

Shawn

Got4wd

Reaction score
So I picked up a international pump today and I will be doing the extra pulley set up. Question I have is, does the stock pulley that mounts to the fan reused or do I need the international one? I have read that it needs to be clearanced?

AZStang

Reaction score
So I picked up a international pump today and I will be doing the extra pulley set up. Question I have is, does the stock pulley that mounts to the fan reused or do I need the international one? I have read that it needs to be clearanced?

Much easier (and cheaper) to just grind the pump casting eliminating the need for the extra pulley and use the stock length belt. That's what I and most others have done.

Shawn

Got4wd

Reaction score
Much easier (and cheaper) to just grind the pump casting eliminating the need for the extra pulley and use the stock length belt. That's what I and most others have done.

Shawn

So what is the extra pulley for? And does the original pulley need anything done to it to make it fit?

Last edited:

AZStang

Reaction score
So what is the extra pulley for? And does the original pulley need anything done to it to make it fit?

I don't know what the extra pulley is for. International trucks with the 7.3 have it and Ford trucks don't. Your stock fan pulley works fine with the International water pump without the extra pulley.

Shawn

Got4wd

Reaction score
I don't know what the extra pulley is for. International trucks with the 7.3 have it and Ford trucks don't. Your stock fan pulley works fine with the International water pump without the extra pulley.

Shawn

Ok so the "stock" pulley where the 4 bolts needs no modification? It just bolts up? Seems that I read somewhere it needs to be shaved down on the back side?

Peroni

Reaction score
Ok so the "stock" pulley where the 4 bolts needs no modification? It just bolts up?
It bolts right up the pump but you either need to grind two clearance channels in the pump body or remove about 1/16" from back of the pulley rim. I have a lathe so I did the latter.

Seems that I read somewhere it needs to be shaved down on the back side?
Reread the very first post again carefully. Billy and myself make mention of needing just a little clearance on the pulley. It may have just been our pump castings. I strongly suggest you try the pulley on your pump before installing it.

AZStang

Reaction score
It bolts right up the pump but you either need to grind two clearance channels in the pump body or remove about 1/16" from back of the pulley rim. I have a lathe so I did the latter.

Reread the very first post again carefully. Billy and myself make mention of needing just a little clearance on the pulley. It may have just been our pump castings. I strongly suggest you try the pulley on your pump before installing it.

I'm on my second international water pump and I didn't have any clearance issues with either one. I wonder if the pulleys changed as some point.

Shawn