Loud Knocking

League

Reaction score
I have an 01 7.3 that I have recently had injectors installed 200/30. Ever since then the truck has smoked more at start up. 15,000km on them now. I drove it to work the other day and it ran fine. A couple hours later I went out to start it and it took a little longer to start than normal it spit and sputtered then started. It was knocking so bad it sounded like a hammer baging around inside. I shut it off then started it again it knock like that for 30 sec while I was looking under the hood. Oh and smoke like a freight train. After 30sec the loud knock subsided and now sounds like a dead miss. Still smokes and has less power. Do you thing it digested a injector tip? Or any other suggestions?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Id pull the fuel filter out and check for combustion coming back through the stand pipe while cranking with key off. Then narrow down which side it's from by loosening one bank line and repeat cranking

League

Reaction score
Ok it looks like I found the culprit, 2 bent push rods on cylinder 7. What should my next steps be? Compression test? Then pull injector and have a peak? Rockers are not cracked everything looks good there. Any suggestions or direction would be great thanks.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Put new ones in and keep rolling. I’ve got a full set of smith bros for sale if you want an upgraded set.

Swaan

Reaction score
No.

You found a symptom of your problem.

Ask yourself this. Why did both push rods bend on that 1 cylinder????

Your problem is not your push rods.

Pull that injector and you might find the culprit.

What's the big deal, 10 extra min to pull that one injector ?

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Holy hell... i remember when i bent and broke the first 2 pushrods in my dually at the same time.. makes a hell of a racket.

Even a slight hiccup with the cps will bend a pushrod. Even a bone stock 7.3.. prolly have a valve stamp on the piston. put it back together with new rods and see how it runs.

I bent 8 pushrods in my dually. Always ran great afterwards. Eventually it wont after that many pistons playing wack-a-mole with the valves but still. Lol

live life full throttle

Swaan

Reaction score
Did you pull the injector yet? Not that it matters , if your real low on compression on that 1 hole the damage is done.

Just be nice to know what caused it. My money is still on a inj tip.

Latest posts

Members online