Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.7 Tech

Old 01-13-2018, 03:06 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Default Oil filter changes for extended intervals advice

Guys, I am running Jimbo's 8854 unicorn piss. Trying to go long on oil changes, filter changes and oil sample on 5k mile internals.

While driving a ******d truck is not exactly green,I do believe in not changing oil until it's time. I am not a tree hugger, just believe in waste not. I think 3k mile oil changes are wasteful. So I decided to run long oil change intervals with proper monitoring. Should end up cheaper in long run. However today was my first time changing the filter without draining the oil first. Starting my extended intervals. I probably am wearing one quart of oil and another is on the concrete just changing the filter. Wtf am I doing wrong? I heard of using a vacuum to pull oil into crankcase when draining, but this crap just kept coming. I have a fumoto valve to take sample, but didn't figure on the mess from filter changes. Any advice?
2015 F250 platinum, flopro 5", jones turbine 5050xl, polished No Limit stage 2/pg 7 and prefilter intake, h&s intercooler pipe(throttlebody-gone) and half ccv reroute, jenny craig, sotf gear hedd tune, Rigid DOT fogs, Chinese 40" radius led, amp steps, weathertechs, edge cts2, titan tank, dieselsite fuel filter, blue ox gooseneck, Hellwig bars, retrofit projectors, linex plat, retrax cover,full Carli 2.5" backcountry,fox 2.0 res shocks, toyo rt 37", OUO ala & bars
Old 01-13-2018, 03:09 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180113_033546.jpg (844.3 KB, 123 views)
2015 F250 platinum, flopro 5", jones turbine 5050xl, polished No Limit stage 2/pg 7 and prefilter intake, h&s intercooler pipe(throttlebody-gone) and half ccv reroute, jenny craig, sotf gear hedd tune, Rigid DOT fogs, Chinese 40" radius led, amp steps, weathertechs, edge cts2, titan tank, dieselsite fuel filter, blue ox gooseneck, Hellwig bars, retrofit projectors, linex plat, retrax cover,full Carli 2.5" backcountry,fox 2.0 res shocks, toyo rt 37", OUO ala & bars
Old 01-13-2018, 03:14 AM
Mod Squad
Member's Gallery

Just be really patient and unscrew the filter a little bit at a time.
Unscrew until oil starts coming down, sit until it stops. Unscrew more sit so on and so forth.
Thatís how I do it.
Another way is to punch the bottom.

Either way after you get all that you think is in there, youíll still have some left in the filter so get ready to be quick. Bring it straight down into the waste container.

Youíll eventually get a feel for unscrewing until itís hanging by just A thread.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:24 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Iíd punch the bottom. Quicker and less messy than letting it run down from the top.
GTP38R, T500, PIS 175/80s in the engine. waiting to see rods one day

Turned 200k miles 1/18/2015
Old 01-13-2018, 04:16 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

There is way more oil than the capacity of the filter coming out. However I will deff punch it next time. Me and Jack were working on not much sleep. Figured couldn't be much in there,I was wrong
Old 01-13-2018, 05:13 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JUICE View Post
There is way more oil than the capacity of the filter coming out. However I will deff punch it next time. Me and Jack were working on not much sleep. Figured couldn't be much in there,I was wrong
Loosen the filter first, then punch the whole. The filter will collapse if you punch it first.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:36 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Default Oil filter changes for extended intervals advice

These guys are right on point. I unscrew it till itís seeping out, let it drain for 30 seconds, unscrew it a bit more, drain, then a but more. I got it down to where its almost second nature. But, in the end, you need to expect 1.5-2 quarts to come running down that filter. Even if you drain the pan, that 1-2 quarts has to basically come out of the filter head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The LE Promise:
No other brand of petroleum lubricating
oil whatsoever, regardless of price, will
be found superior in condition to
Lubrication Engineers products at the
end of any given period of use.

CLS Certified STLE
MLT-1, MLT-2, MLA-1, MLA-2 Certified ICML
ISO 9001
J.KUKULSKI@le-inc.com
616-460-9949
Old 01-13-2018, 09:06 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

K THX
Old 01-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

I ran 7500 mile filter intervals and ran my 8854 out to 20.5k. Analysis showed good results so I will keep doing it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2018, 09:01 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Where do you get the oil analysis? I'm about 8k on my oil. Could I just change out the filter and send that off for an analysis?