Deleted 6.7 coolant question here.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Sorry for the NEWB-ness. I deleted the 6.7 last year at about 35,000 miles, and I am now up to 61,000 miles (all highway) and that coolant reminder prompt has come up.

My question is what would I do now for coolant change? Since it isn't stock anymore, I wondered if you guys are using regular Ford coolant still or some other brand(s)? Aside from the current delete mods, I will eventually have the EDE VGT kit and GT3794 mounted, along with Mike's NO LIMIT EGR delete/bypass plate and a CCV.

Thanks for the help!

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
I'd do the coolant swap when you do the EGR delete....The coolant can be reused, if it's still good. If you want to get new coolant, you'll need 3 gallons, a bottle of coolant additive, and the test strip kit to check coolant additive.

See the attachment for the coolant you'll need and additive

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

CMCx2012

Reaction score
I'd do the coolant swap when you do the EGR delete....The coolant can be reused, if it's still good. If you want to get new coolant, you'll need 3 gallons, a bottle of coolant additive, and the test strip kit to check coolant additive.

See the attachment for the coolant you'll need and additive

Thanks!

I was under the impression (for some reason) that I could use a regular coolant.

Randy_270

Reaction score
I am fairly certain that the additive was only needed if your coolant needs a boost after testing. New coolant shouldn't need the additive.

78f100

Reaction score
I am pretty firm on using Motorcraft coolant even after deletes have been done. I do remember reading where Morgan was running green coolant in his 6.7 after deletes. From what i gathered he said there is no real reason for the Mc coolant after the severe heat from the cooler has been removed. He has far more knowledge of them than me, idk I get a good deal on the Mc stuff so I always run it my and customers trucks.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I am pretty firm on using Motorcraft coolant even after deletes have been done. I do remember reading where Morgan was running green coolant in his 6.7 after deletes. From what i gathered he said there is no real reason for the Mc coolant after the severe heat from the cooler has been removed. He has far more knowledge of them than me, idk I get a good deal on the Mc stuff so I always run it my and customers trucks.

i still use the motorcraft .why not ?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i use CAT ELC because its readily available and i feel that its one of the best coolants on the market that helps keep oil coolers from plugging. I agree that Motorcraft is fine to use as well. I just refuse to spend any money with my local dealer now so it makes it harder to get.

IMHO i would stay away from the green stuff with the oil coolers the way they are. You have to keep up more on the green stuff to make sure its in good condition to use.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i have been to 3 different ford dealers around the country and inquired about coolant, additive, and test strips... all said they never have seen one need additive or fail the test strips..

my budy at my local ford house sold me the additive below cost because he said he was required to stock it and he hasnt taken a bottle off the shelf since the 6.7s came out.. had about a 1/4 inch of dust on it... must be the coolant is good stuff!

live life full throttle

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
So would it hurt to put the additive in the new coolant anyways? Would there be a benefit down the road or help prevent corrosion, as time goes on?

TimLLRP

Reaction score
i use CAT ELC because its readily available and i feel that its one of the best coolants on the market that helps keep oil coolers from plugging. I agree that Motorcraft is fine to use as well. I just refuse to spend any money with my local dealer now so it makes it harder to get.

IMHO i would stay away from the green stuff with the oil coolers the way they are. You have to keep up more on the green stuff to make sure its in good condition to use.
I'm with Dzchey21 CAT Extended Life is the only thing i trust in my equipment and on highway trucks and I use it for myself and my customers.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
So the consensus is to go with the Motorcraft? Is it mixed or do I need anything to supplement it?? On the other hand, I did read a lot of great things about that CAT ELC.

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
The CAT ELC is badass on the older strokes, just havent done much research on the 6.7s that use it. I'm sure its perfectly fine to use. So I guess scratch the additive part and test strips lol

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I use Fleet Charge from O'Reilly.
It's for diesels, SCA pre-charged, pink and ready to go.

78f100

Reaction score
So the consensus is to go with the Motorcraft? Is it mixed or do I need anything to supplement it?? On the other hand, I did read a lot of great things about that CAT ELC.

It's not mixed, use distilled water as well

Latest posts

Members online