2017 6.7 Rod Differences Found

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score
It would be sweet if they were a direct replacement for the 11-16 rods for an affordable cost!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Pretty sure the wrist pins are different. If that's the case,
swapping rods would also require swapping pistons.
Now, if I found myself with a hurt 11-16 motor, and didn't plan on getting hog wild with it. There's no question which style I'd go back together with.

Last edited:

Monotalonawd

Reaction score
I was looking on fordparts.com and there is a difference in pistons, rods, piston pins and crankshaft in build date after 2016-01-06. There is a 34mm and 35mm piston pin too. That could confirm my theory that some '16s have the upgraded rods and that all '17s have them...

Reaction score
I was looking on fordparts.com and there is a difference in pistons, rods, piston pins and crankshaft in build date after 2016-01-06. There is a 34mm and 35mm piston pin too. That could confirm my theory that some '16s have the upgraded rods and that all '17s have them...

Great find!! Hope that is the case! So are you saying there is a total of 3 different wrist pins that you found? The 11-16 (Some), and 2 other wrist pins the 34 mm and the 35 mm? The guy whos company makes them said they've been making them for a year or so. I just wonder if that falls in line with when his company started making them.

04cr450

Reaction score
^ makes sense, my 16 was built in june of 16- i bought it and took it to my ford tech buddy and he went straight to the build date amd said "oh good you have all the upgraded parts". I figured he was just talking about the turbo, pump etc.. not the rods and internals- he was talking about these i assume ill have to ask later today.

powerstrokelyfe

Reaction score

Good find. very interesting.

Reaction score
I think some of the guys who rebuild these engines daily should probably chime in though with what theyve seen on the 16s first before the assumptions are made. Hell, we dont even know when/if the 17s had any different rods put in them. Hopefully someone can get some hard evidence of the changes made and when. Then theres a whole new aspect once thats found. Are these updated rods better or worse than the old style? Be interesting to find all this out in the coming months/years once the guys who deal with these every day can shed some light on it.

Monotalonawd

Reaction score
Great find!! Hope that is the case! So are you saying there is a total of 3 different wrist pins that you found? The 11-16 (Some), and 2 other wrist pins the 34 mm and the 35 mm? The guy whos company makes them said they've been making them for a year or so. I just wonder if that falls in line with when his company started making them.

There was only two pins listed for the '16, 34-35mm and only one for the '17, 35mm

I can't believe no one already have opened an engine that was installed in a '17 truck? :p

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
man oh man, this could be excuse to buy a new truck! buddy already bothering me to buy my truck, that 450 dually might be even closer

08stroker350

Reaction score
2017 engine has new Pistons, rods, crankshaft, cylinder heads plus twin pilot injection ...... :ford:

Rowdy

Reaction score
If this is true it will be the final push for me to sell mine and get a 17! Definitely interested now!

Rowdy

Reaction score
Here is the pics I have found.
9a240058dd8bfe7d9b62e8054034dc72.jpg

6.0 rod next to 6.7
8b71428b20049129c8023eb0894c3dcc.jpg

New 6.7 rod next to old 6.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Damn. That should hold way more power.

Jomax

Reaction score
Yes.How did your new No Limit intercooler install go?Haven't notice you posting about it?

Trucks not puking anymore, but I'm not getting enough coolant to the CAC. My fuel cooler isn't working either. I think I hurt the waterpump running it dry when I killed the last CAC.

When I increase RPM by downshifting to 5th (speed stays the same and no extra load is given) the CAC temps raise insanely fast. Leads me to believe he impeller on the water pump is spinning on the shaft with higher rpm.

Haven't had the time to replace the waterpump. But will Next week and was going to update my thread.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Trucks not puking anymore, but I'm not getting enough coolant to the CAC. My fuel cooler isn't working either. I think I hurt the waterpump running it dry when I killed the last CAC.

When I increase RPM by downshifting to 5th (speed stays the same and no extra load is given) the CAC temps raise insanely fast. Leads me to believe he impeller on the water pump is spinning on the shaft with higher rpm.

Haven't had the time to replace the waterpump. But will Next week and was going to update my thread.

Well,I hope you get it figured out.

Latest posts

Members online