2017 Patriot Tuning Reviews

BK39

Reaction score
Loaded the 600 yesterday, this thing is going to eat tires. I didn't get to drive it much, but the little i did, it's nice. Anyone have an Ndash, where are you mounting it? This suction cup to the window is not going to fly.

theplumber27

Reaction score
I'm not feeling so good about their trans tuning it is definitely doing some weird stuff at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and when it goes into 5th gear it drops rpm way down.
I have videos of exactly whats going and I have spoken with others that shared their videos with me and we all have the same concerns. if anyone is interested in seeing them & help us try to figure this out.
i will say that Jeffrey Dodd has been answering my questions every time i have asked and he seems like a good dude. I know some problems people have with patriot (that i have heard) is that communications with them is bad I have not had any trouble getting them to answer my questions.

Last edited:

Txpipeliner

Reaction score
The tunes that are out for the ndash are cookie cutter tunes. I spend a whole day on a dyno changing tuners ,tunes and rear tires and mapped all the results and I can tell you the transmission tunes that are out are garbage. Tire size changes the whole dynamics of the program. In my normal tire set up 35x12.50x20 the ndash on the 600 hp tune ship shifted and hunted from 3rd to 5th gear at a 35mph roll on. The torque converter did not know what to do ,lock or unlock. Honestly I got better shift performance out of a different tuner with factory rear tires. Sorry to bust bubbles but it is facts. We need a tuner that will compensate for gearing and tire size altitude and so forth. Just my findings

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Can you post all of your work in a separate thread? I’m sure many would like to see it.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Looks like there was multiple tunes from different tuners along with a bunch of other changes. Not just patriot stuff. Might be helpful to others looking at more than patriot.

Reaction score
For what its worth, I have had exactly ZERO issues with trans shifting. No weird hiccups, missed shifts or anything. I've been running the 600 tune and 2 revisions since the whole time (4000-5000 miles worth). Not had a single issue that some have described. Maybe it has something to do with tire sizes or not letting the trans learn long enough before being hard on it. From what I know on the 17s, the relearn process is nothing like the 11-16s. You need to baby it for a while after tuning it. Not the old process of 1/4 throttle pass, 1/2, 3/4 and 100%. I've heard a good relearn on the 17s take 500-1000 miles of city driving after tuning due to the different strategies and TCM. If you have a problem with shifting, might want to try to reload the tune and baby it for a long time. See if it helps.

BK39

Reaction score
I have 35x12.5 22s on my truck. It shifts fine. I haven't been dogging the sh!t out of it, but when I do stomp it on occasions, it's strong, shifts without flaw.

I do need someone to tell me how to monitor EGTs though. I have the NL block off plates, put the sensor from the EGR pipe in it, but can't figure out on the Ndash which 1 it is.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I have 35x12.5 22s on my truck. It shifts fine. I haven't been dogging the sh!t out of it, but when I do stomp it on occasions, it's strong, shifts without flaw.

I do need someone to tell me how to monitor EGTs though. I have the NL block off plates, put the sensor from the EGR pipe in it, but can't figure out on the Ndash which 1 it is.

I read that the 17s adaptive shifting also changes shift points which can mess up the shifting if the tires size is off. Not sure if they changed it for 17s but on 15-16 you can read pre turbo egts using the factory sensor on the nDash

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I read that the 17s adaptive shifting also changes shift points which can mess up the shifting if the tires size is off. Not sure if they changed it for 17s but on 15-16 you can read pre turbo egts using the factory sensor on the nDash

Which factory sensor are you referring too?

The pre egr one?

ckrueg

Reaction score
Which factory sensor are you referring too?

The pre egr one?
This one. It's pre turbo in the up pipe on 15 and 16 trucks. I would assume it's on the 17s as well but I could be wrong
d5eb58dd9c1047bd6b2afd12a6fd2824.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

theplumber27

Reaction score
does your truck seem to get lost between 4th and 5th gear? and roll around at 1100 RPMs in 5th gear doing 30-35 mph?
and lets not forget the occasional slam when letting off the gas?

Last edited:
Reaction score

I used a sensor from the *** for mine, but it still plugs into the EGR out temp harness like youre mentioning and hooks into the no limit plate. My reads perfectly on the nGauge, so Im guessing it has the same channel name. Ill let you know what channel Im under and get back to you as long as its the one that is plugged into where the EGR outlet temp harness would go.

does your truck seem to get lost between 4th and 5th gear? and roll around at 1100 RPMs in 5th gear doing 30-35 mph?
and lets not forget the occasional slam when letting off the gas?

My truck has never got lost between 4th and 5th gear or never done any slamming at all. Do you have larger tires on your truck? Might want to try to reload the tune and baby it for a while before hammering it. If you are getting a slam when letting off the throttle, it sounds more like you have some bad axle wrap going on where the suspension is unloading when you take the torque away. This is heavily magnified on larger tires/rims.

theplumber27

Reaction score
reply.

stock tires, never hammered it, the most I have done was rolled into the throttle aggressively up to about 70 percent after 200 miles of driving on it.

Reaction score
stock tires, never hammered it, the most I have done was rolled into the throttle aggressively up to about 70 percent after 200 miles of driving on it.

I guess I got a bad one. There is no way my trans will stay together the way it shifts.

I just saw there is a new beta V2.0.1 that they have available now. One for stock tires with standard shift schedule, and another that is for an enhanced shift schedule for like 37" tires. This is only for the 600 hp file for now as its beta and is also a QR file (quick response for the throttle pedal). I dont know if the new file will help you, but may be worth reaching out to Jeff Dodd to see if you can try these new files depending on tire size if you run the 600 hp file. Could help with some isses you both are seeing.

maxxedout

Reaction score
Just curious, how are you guys monitoring EGT’s with the Patriot devices?

Is there a provision to use a factory EGT probe?

Reaction score
Just curious, how are you guys monitoring EGT’s with the Patriot devices?

Is there a provision to use a factory EGT probe?

I used a factory probe from the exhaust in the EG-R block off plate connected into the factory harness where the EG-R outlet temp sensor normally plugs in. There is an EGT channel on the nGauge that will allow for you to monitor. If you look through all of your EGT channels, youll see one that is correct temps and will respond to the throttle. If at idle, itll roughly be around 300 or so as a starting point to find the channel.