Real Tuning

maxxedout

Reaction score
Does anyone know how far away "real" tuning is? It seems like all that's talked about is the OE "export" tune and the TS module, neither of which are worth the $$$ to me. I'm just wondering if there's anything on the horizon yet.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Does anyone know how far away "real" tuning is? It seems like all that's talked about is the OE "export" tune and the TS module, neither of which are worth the $$$ to me. I'm just wondering if there's anything on the horizon yet.

soon we will have ecm tuning but nothing thru the OBD port anytime soon .

DockRocker

Reaction score
soon we will have ecm tuning but nothing thru the OBD port anytime soon .

I know this is a newb question but I am am a newb so that makes sense. What is the practical difference between tuning through the OBD port vs the ECM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I know this is a newb question but I am am a newb so that makes sense. What is the practical difference between tuning through the OBD port vs the ECM?

I believe you'll have to physically remove the ECM and send it in.

maxxedout

Reaction score
Well, that sucks... I know the CAN network in these new trucks is beyond complex, but I didn't realize flashing the ECM was virtually impossible now. Hopefully, someone will crack them sooner rather than later. I'm sure there's enough people lined up waiting for tuning that someone will be motivated to cash in on that. I suppose flashing the ECM and altering values to non-factory values are two very different things though. We'll see what happens...

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, that sucks... I know the CAN network in these new trucks is beyond complex, but I didn't realize flashing the ECM was virtually impossible now. Hopefully, someone will crack them sooner rather than later. I'm sure there's enough people lined up waiting for tuning that someone will be motivated to cash in on that. I suppose flashing the ECM and altering values to non-factory values are two very different things though. We'll see what happens...

it's not about the cash , it's about the crack. it's incredibly complex. we may have something ready VERY shortly , it's a lot of work , but definitely will only be ECM flash and not obd .

PyroFighter

Reaction score
it's not about the cash , it's about the crack. it's incredibly complex. we may have something ready VERY shortly , it's a lot of work , but definitely will only be ECM flash and not obd .

Do the 17's use a "firewall" kinda like the 13+ Cummins have?

Kind

Reaction score
Without trying to sound ignorant, is fords code that complex that someone who is really good with cracking/programming computer software couldn't have cracked it by now?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Without trying to sound ignorant, is fords code that complex that someone who is really good with cracking/programming computer software couldn't have cracked it by now?

yep. whole new ball game.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Mike, in your opinion, will we ever be able to tune 17+ trucks via OBD II, or is that era over?

yes there will be. but my guess is , this may be the last ford diesel ever tuned. look at the 2017 GM L5P .. seems to be virtually uncrackable .

Black AOD

Reaction score
yes there will be. but my guess is , this may be the last ford diesel ever tuned. look at the 2017 GM L5P .. seems to be virtually uncrackable .

If anybody cracks the L5P I would guess it would be Kory or one of the guys at PPEI then again I dont follow what's new with the L5P...is it really that bad on those things???

Jomax

Reaction score

If that day comes, I have friends in the tech industry that might be able to. But, hopefully we are able to crack the 17s.

maxxedout

Reaction score
I'm good friends with a few of the shop guys here, and they've all said these 2017's are unbelievably complicated. The biggest thing seems to be CAN network issues on anything upfitted. If one open plug isn't terminated correctly, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I'm probably going to buy a 72 month/150k warranty on mine, just to cover all the electrical bull****. Hopefully, the emissions nonsense is all figured out now, so I can sit tight until real tuning is available. The reason I ******d my 12 when I did is because of emissions faults. The last thing I need is a hard fault with the DEF system when I'm 300 miles from home with a trailer.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
If anybody cracks the L5P I would guess it would be Kory or one of the guys at PPEI then again I dont follow what's new with the L5P...is it really that bad on those things???

no way. kory is a tuner, not a hacker. he's already told me , no way he'll be able to touch it. it's algorithm based. pure insanity.

Black AOD

Reaction score
no way. kory is a tuner, not a hacker. he's already told me , no way he'll be able to touch it. it's algorithm based. pure insanity.
Didn't know that. Yeah screw that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mts678

Reaction score
Dang that sucks... the export tune is OK, lags in first until you hit 19-20 mph. At a wot run I can only hit 22 psi, un******d I could hit 24 psi.

F

Floorboard79

Dang that sucks... the export tune is OK, lags in first until you hit 19-20 mph. At a wot run I can only hit 22 psi, un******d I could hit 24 psi.

Mine did that when i had throttle valve unplugged
I pull 27-28 now

PasoF450

Reaction score

I am on board, let me know.

Jomax

Reaction score
I have a friend in the tech industry that messes with this kind of stuff on his race cars mazdas, on the cheaper end. And higher end cars as well.

I've talked to him about this, and he didn't seem to think it was too hard in their heads... these guys are insanely smart. If the 17s aren't able to be cracked. I might bother him lol.