oem intercooler pipe question

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
Received my '15 oem intercooler upgrade pipe on Friday and installed it Saturday. I had to push the steel tube way down into the elbow. The tube extends probably 1/2"-3/4" past the turn in the elbow. Seems that the tube is a little long. Just wanted to touch base to see if that is correct. Doesn't seem like a smooth transition for airflow.

Thanks
Greg

JHTX

Reaction score
I recently installed one two weeks ago with same issue. Wonder if there was an issue with H&S batch.

JHTX

Reaction score
Yeah I backed it out a bit after putting it that far down. Found a middle ground but still seemed too far.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Received my '15 oem intercooler upgrade pipe on Friday and installed it Saturday. I had to push the steel tube way down into the elbow. The tube extends probably 1/2"-3/4" past the turn in the elbow. Seems that the tube is a little long. Just wanted to touch base to see if that is correct. Doesn't seem like a smooth transition for airflow.

Thanks
Greg

yeah we don't build them , or even open up the packaging , so if there is a deviation in length we wouldn't know about it. i see no issue with the extra length unless it goes so far as to push on the other side of the hose. i'll steer dallas to this thread.

JHTX

Reaction score
Mike it does not go that far but it's definitely into the curve of the boot. I had the same fears as above in making sure I got a tight bite on that rolled lip with the clamp. I backed it out a bit about 0.5" and tightened everything down. The pipe was not in the curve of the boot anymore but definitely at the base of the curve and made the top boot slightly out of alignment. Wondered if I should call H&S but made a 500 mile trip and no issues.

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! We love to hear feedback, positive or negative. It helps us continue to manufacture some of the highest quality products on the market. We actually changed boot design on those and left the pipe long for strength purposes to keep more heat out of the boot. When we test fit them here and they were adjusted properly we did not see a reason to change them. There is a new version of those coming as well........stay tuned.

JHTX

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys! We love to hear feedback, positive or negative. It helps us continue to manufacture some of the highest quality products on the market. We actually changed boot design on those and left the pipe long for strength purposes to keep more heat out of the boot. When we test fit them here and they were adjusted properly we did not see a reason to change them. There is a new version of those coming as well........stay tuned.

What is he proper placement of the tube for these kits all the way in the boot? Does it matter if the pipe is in the curve of the boot? Where do you place the clamp by the pipe lip or at the top of the boot?

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
Great. I got the old one.

The old one's are just fine! Don't worry. We are just going to offer a one piece stainless re-enforced boot/hose like our 2017 kit also.

Attachments

• IMG_6280.jpg
    IMG_6280.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 90
Last edited: