Clutch time!

euroford

Reaction score
long story short, if you loose your input shaft seal and get a bunch of ATF in your clutch, your going to need a new one!

I've been corresponding back and forth with Ryan at South Bend and his recommendation based on how I use my truck is that I go with a clutch vastly similar to the street dual disc (SFDD3250-6), but WITHOUT the damper buttons on the center plate.

I have no experience with an undamped dual disc clutch, how disruptive is the noise?

superpsd

Reaction score
I run a Valair full ceramic single. It made the rollover very pronounced at first. I overfilled the transmission with Redline MTL and it reduced rollover to nothing.

euroford

Reaction score
I have a little bit of rollover noise, not bad, but I plan to add a couple more quarts when i have the trans out again for the new clutch.

what i'm curious about is the center plate rattle with the undamped version of the DD clutch, i've tried searching around and havn't been able to find much.

psduser1

Reaction score
As far as living with it, hard to say. Do you wash your truck every week, and worry if it gets scratched? If so, you'll hate the noise, lol.
If you want the truck to just do work, and don't mind all the things that go with working a tractor engine, than you'll probably just add clutch noise to the list of less than desirable characteristics.
Fwiw, I made 80k+ on a similar setup, routinely grossing 25k. Not babying it, either. So functionality is there, but definitely not refined.
I put the same setup back in second time around.
Just know you won't sneak up on a blind man!

euroford

Reaction score
Right on, thanks for the feedback. I talked with South Bend a bit more and got very similar feedback, then I pulled the trigger.

Fundamentally, noisy but functional is kind of already a theme I have going on, so I think i can live with it!

euroford

Reaction score
To follow up, I did go with the undamped version of the SB SDD clutch and I've had it running for a couple of days.

It works great, and makes almost no noise. If you have the door open and press the clutch you can barely hear a small hum. In use, no additional noise is perceptible.

This version differs from the regular SDD in that you have the solid billet center plate, no dampers on the ears, the dowels are removed from the flywheel and instead of rubber dampers in the friction plates it has all steel springs. Same price as the SDD.

2uhog1c.jpg

Latest posts

Members online