01 seven three auto or man

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I don’t have any experience with a 7.3 in front of a zig 6 speed. I’m looking at 2 trucks both are 7.3 F-350 srw/4wd with 373 gears. One is a cc/lb the other is a reg cab/lb. Both are pretty much stock. The reg cab has a different exhaust with a muffler,ts 6 chip and gauges that’s it far as I can tell 107k miles. The cc/lb is bone stock with 244 on the clock 1 owner and very nice shape for the miles. My question here is how much different is the man on pulling loads vs the auto? And how bout just normal driving?

Petro

Reaction score
In my opinion, it's a pretty significant difference. I'm not a 4r fan, especially not in stock form so my opinion is slightly flawed. I've owned several of both and I enjoyed my 6 speed trucks 100% more than my autos. Handled a load better, made better mileage and I like the low end grunt of a 7.3 with a manual trans. That's my opinion, I'm sure many will disagree.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Thanks Petro. I had my r4 replaced with a hd build from trans axles. I was happy with it except for the hi stall in the tc. I should’ve had a billet tc put in. I know I don’t want to have to replace another one that’s why my next one will be a manual. How have your clutches held up and at what hp range would it be recommended to go with something stronger?

psduser1

Reaction score
I've got one of each, lol.
The r4 trans is basically stock, so I can't comment on a modded trans.
The zf6 truck works very well, loaded, but it gets old, shifting all the time. On the other hand, the pcm files for the automatic, even with aftermarket tunes, sucks to tow with. Pisspoor shift points, etc. My next setup will be r4 with a pcs, just for adjustability.
Both trucks are 450ish hp, with almost identical setups, fwiw.
Anything over 300-350 hp, I'd plan on buying a clutch sooner rather than later.
I vote you pickup the zf truck, and point me to the auto truck! Lol.

Last edited:

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
I like the autos better. Stock for stock it doesnt matter. Modded id rather have a built 4r. Ive had two different built 4rs and it makes a gigantic difference in the truck.

But as for your question op, go drive them and see which you like better.

dmd

Reaction score
I would get the CC just because it is and fix what needs to be. Never heard anyone with
a CC say they wish they had smaller. Trans are easy to fix and build up a little.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I was thinking about eventually putting a flatbed on the reg cab or building a welding bed. Later on getting a another cc or sc for my traveling. As far as the manual vs auto, I will as expecting majority with auto. If I can get enough time off to go and drive the reg cab 02 I’ll probably get it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I was thinking about eventually putting a flatbed on the reg cab or building a welding bed. Later on getting a another cc or sc for my traveling. As far as the manual vs auto, I will as expecting majority with auto. If I can get enough time off to go and drive the reg cab 02 I’ll probably get it.
Did you check under the hood at all? If it has the factory air box or a ***IN cone filter on it then you better take the intake off and inspect the turbo as much as possible.

live life full throttle

sniper_101

Reaction score
As someone with a 6spd I love mine for daily driving, and light towing. I can squeeze better MPG out of it, better control on/offroad, *arguably* more reliable (only replaced the clutch fork and clutch once in 290,000mi).

Having said that, bigger tires and stock 3.73 gearing makes the gear gaps pretty big when pulling heavy or in the hills. The Low gear is nice, but the ratio gap and dog-leg shift between Low and 1st is a PITA. The shifter throw is long, and an upgraded/heavier clutch makes trying to shift the thing at high RPM difficult (may be my worn syncros). The factory plastic Ford hydraulic clutch system is horribly cheap quality. I'm amazed I have 5yrs on my current slave/master.

If I cared about going fast, did much for city stop and go, or pulled regularly over 10k lbs, a built 4R would be the smart decision. The ZF6 makes a good farm truck/tractor.

Last edited:

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Both have factory airboxes. Clutch is tight in both trucks and really easy to take off. Nicest manual I’ve ever drove on both.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Well today I went by the dealership to take the 02 for another test run. Last week I didn’t have enough time to get it out on the highway and stretch it’s legs out. Here’s what is going on with this truck. It has a TS 6 pos chip,factory air intake,exhaust is brand new with a muffler, turbo boost and egt pod. Not knowing what pos is what on the chip except 2nd pos is hi idle.i start out in 1. Pulled out and got down on it hard,black smoke from the pipe and run like raped ape. Pos 3 -6 it really didn’t seem much different till I got on the interstate. Pos 1 to the floor 90 mph 18 psi with 1100 on egt’s. 3-6 egts up to 1300 well before maxed out,@70 mph @2200,not even making power yet. Couldn’t imagine a load behind it.
So I get back and my cousin is the Dealership mgr,I tell him what it’s doing and he gave me the number to the guy who had it. He said the inj were changed at @55k miles by his grandpa. Didn’t know who or what kind. He had 4” dip straight back. When he traded for a new one the dealership put the factory system back on it. He used it to haul produce and around the farm and he said it did fine and egts were always fine. He pulled in stock tune and 50 hp setting(#3) for daily driving. There is absolutely no blowby and the truck rides and drives great. It has a lil bit of lift with 20” rims and 35” tires. Doesn’t rub at all and have bout 40% tread left. So if I did purchase this truck #1 the exhaust would have to go back to 4” str pipe. Remove injecor and send off for flow test and a s&b intake. I also prefer the reg return fuel system. Ill figure how much this will cost and figure out an offer. They’re asking 16k I think I’ll offer 11500 and that’s all I’ll do.
The tranny is pretty awesome, but I can see low to 1st is a lil crazy.

euroford

Reaction score
I run a ZF6 and wouldn't have it any other way, but that's just the way we like it around here. We have four manual trans vehicles and we just prefer it that way. Our BMW 540i is an auto, and despite being a powerful and great handling car, we find it boring to drive with the slushbox and plan on selling it soon.

Both the manual and auto trucks have advantageous and disadvantages, but I personally find this irrelevant and the only thing that matters is what kind of driving experience do you want?

From a practical perspective, we live in Colorado and drive in the mountains A LOT, both unloaded and towing, and I like the additional control it provides.

The ZF6 is hella durable, but its not bullitproof. Personally i'm on my 4th clutch, as my power level has grown I ditched a stocker when it wouldn't hold just a tuner, ran a SB organic single disc for years, upgraded injectors so i went to a SB street dual disc, and now i'm running a SB super street dual disc without the damping system. Clutches are what they are, you just have to pick the right one for your power level. As for the trans itself, mine was solid for 306K miles until i blew apart 6th gear while engaged in some highly aggressive passing maneuvers with the 250/100 sticks set to kill and a little shot of no2.

but... the upside here is that unlike an auto, any shade tree mechanic with some basic tools and a harbor freight trans jack can DIY just about ANY problem with the zf6 setup. hydros, no problem, clutch is a 5 hour job, I rebuilt my transmission myself in a weekend using $30 in harbor freight tools and $400 in parts. It was, honestly, pretty fun and easy to rebuild that.

I daily drive mine, and letting out that clutch pedal makes me giggle 10x a day.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Lol on the giggle. Well I’ve decided against that 02 reg cab with issues and the other one I was interested in I can’t get hold of that guy again. My mechanic still hasn’t started on my 01.ive picked up a welding gig here at home but it ends soon and I need to get on my next real work. I think I’ve decided to go with a manual this time. I’d really like a drw in supercab instead of cc also. I don’t tow all the time just to get my travel trailer to where I’m working and when I’m home no telling what I’ll go out and find and need to haul it or I’ll have to haul my tractor or something here and there. I guess for the most part daily driving is dominant for me. I’m not opposed to getting a 11-16 either but I haven’t found anything in my budget around here for that. They’re the sharpest looking trucks ever made imo. I’m just partial to theses 7.3’s. Sounds,rises& drives like real truck.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Lol on the giggle. Well I’ve decided against that 02 reg cab with issues and the other one I was interested in I can’t get hold of that guy again. My mechanic still hasn’t started on my 01.ive picked up a welding gig here at home but it ends soon and I need to get on my next real work. I think I’ve decided to go with a manual this time. I’d really like a drw in supercab instead of cc also. I don’t tow all the time just to get my travel trailer to where I’m working and when I’m home no telling what I’ll go out and find and need to haul it or I’ll have to haul my tractor or something here and there. I guess for the most part daily driving is dominant for me. I’m not opposed to getting a 11-16 either but I haven’t found anything in my budget around here for that. They’re the sharpest looking trucks ever made imo. I’m just partial to theses 7.3’s. Sounds,rises& drives like real truck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.