2011+ axle swap question

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
So theres a ton of information I've found on swapping 05+ axles and suspension into our leaf sprung trucks, got that covered.. I may have an opportunity to buy the axles and suspension from a 2012 f350, that was a cat service truck, gasser 4x4... my buddy is trying to buy it from the cat dealership he works for, and I'm hoping that being a gasser, it would have 4.10 gears.. my truck is an 01 f350, 6"ish lift and 38x15.50s, so the lower gears would be welcome..

My question is, is there any problems or issues swapping in the 2011+ axles? All I've been able to find in research is "stick with 05-10", but not much of a reason as to why, other than it's an unknown apparently :shrug:

sootie

Reaction score
because of the sensor difference on the rear axle.

J98

Reaction score
If you did a custom tone ring and VSS mount you could do it, but that's more work then it's worth. A 2013+ front axle and a 08-10 rear axle and you'd be good.

sootie

Reaction score
stick with matching pair axles. Brakes are different 05-10, 11-12, 13+

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
So just so I can understand, what is different about the sensor and tone ring in the axle? Would a guy be able to swap a tone ring from an earlier 10.5?

I ask this because it's been my understanding that since the 10.5 was introduced, not much has changed in the basic parts, like the newer e locker will even work in a 10.25.. so I'm just trying to visualize as to why it couldn't be swapped out is all

sootie

Reaction score
The 2011+ trucks read speed from the transmission output, not the axle.

Roccafellas

Reaction score
So just so I can understand, what is different about the sensor and tone ring in the axle? Would a guy be able to swap a tone ring from an earlier 10.5?

I ask this because it's been my understanding that since the 10.5 was introduced, not much has changed in the basic parts, like the newer e locker will even work in a 10.25.. so I'm just trying to visualize as to why it couldn't be swapped out is all

Instead of being one single sensor in the rear diff it’s two individual if i’m not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I gotcha.. when/if I get those axles, I'll just sell the rear for a 05-10 rear.. thanks for answering my questions fellas!

rescuejg

Reaction score
You can add the tone ring to the ring gear of the 11+. You will then have to drill the hole in the housing for the sensor and tap a hold for the hold down bolt. I have not done it yet, but others have done it. It's on my to do list when I swap in a 2015 axle that I have sitting in the garage.

Latest posts

Members online