6.0 Tow Recipe

Arkansas89

Reaction score
I have a 2007 F250 Lariat FX4 CCSB with the 5R110, and am wanting to make it a towing monster. I'm not just looking for mild ideas like a Powermax, I want to hook up to 15k+ and forget it's back there...I am not worried about a budget, as this will be happening over time with my next couple of deployments anyway

Goals:
Lowest EGT's possible
Reasonable turbo spool, most likely keeping a VGT
As close to current "unloaded" fuel mileage as possible (~14 city/21-22 hwy)
At least 500 rwhp
As much rwtq as possible

Current mods:
Currently being studded/d-leted/updated
Factory turbo currently being cleaned/rebuilt with KC Turbos 10 blade turbine
Alradco radiator
BPD billet water pump
Mishimoto 200*F thermostat (alternate with Mishimoto 185*F thermostat)
Coolant filter
4" MBRP straight pipe
SCT X4 with IDP tunes (tow, economy, street, performance, extreme)
Rebuilt rear differential with Timken bearings/seals, '08 aluminum diff cover, and Amsoil
Cross-drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk Performance pads
High idle mod
***Feels like I'm missing something, will update if I'm right***

Future plans:
RCD valve springs (to withstand back pressure of possible exhaust brake)
RCD chromoly pushrods
Sinister Diesel y-pipes
BD Diesel exhaust manifolds (or should I look at Sinister Diesel headers?)
Fluidampr
BPD 7.3 mechanical fan clutch with adapter
BPD remote oil cooler system (heavy duty?)
Spearco intercooler
No Limit Fabrication IC pipes
Driven Diesel custom fuel system with regulated return
HDP ported intake manifold
BTS transmission
Diesel Site transmission fluid bypass filter
Icon Dynamics 2.5" coil springs
PMF adjustable track bar
PMF traction bars
PMF 4" rear blocks with airbag tangs
AirLift rear airbags
Hellwig front/rear sway bars
Gauges (fuel pressure, boost, EGT, trans temp, trans pressure, ECT, EOT, oil pressure, dual air pressure)

Considering:
Arrowcraft Magnum front/rear dually adapters and dually fenders for short bed dually. Haven't looked at wheels/tires yet as this would be very last priority.

Questions:
1). Injectors and turbo...no clue. I don't see much for aftermarket VGT that I'm impressed with that can still tow, and I really like the quicker spool of VGT's. Maybe compounds like the Industrial Injection Towing Twins? That would give me the power I'm looking for and let me keep the desired spool, as well as lower EGT's.

2). If I go with the RCD valve springs and pushrods to withstand the back pressure of an exhaust brake, would the turbo(s) still be able to withstand it?

3). Should I also monitor fuel temperature? Didn't the HFCM used to have a heater coil in it? I am considering adding a fuel heater. Most will think it is a petty, wasteful idea...however, all fuels have an optimum ignition temperature. Between heating the fuel prior to injection and the fuel being pressurized in the cylinder, better power and fuel mileage could be obtained. Heated fuel also makes cold starts much more enjoyable, judging by just about any industrial diesel application.

4). Who makes a good air compressor with 2.5 gallon tank? Wireless is not an option as I do not trust it from a long term reliability point of view.

5). I'm looking for other tunes. I would really like to try Tyrant Diesel, but can't get ahold of Cale...which is sad being I grew up with the guy. I have also heard great things about Gear Head, Vivan at Quick Tricks, and whoever it is that writes the Super Panty Dropper (forget the name)...I emailed the Super Panty Dropper's a few days ago with no reply, was told to get in touch with Charlie at KC Turbos? Any advice here would be nice too as this change will happen pretty soon...As far as what kind of tunes, not just towing...I like to play a little too :naughty:

Let the discussions begin... :gethim:

Last edited:

mstng5point0

Reaction score
First things that stand out are
1. Use a stock thermostat no need to swap between the 2
2. Don't use the Sinister y-pipe with slip joints. I spent the money on it and they leak.
3.get the new Odawg intake manifold its all new, not a ported stocker.

There are guys way smarter than me on here those are just my first alterations to your list.

Also if you really want to do valve springs and push rods why wouldn't you do them while its getting studded?

Arkansas89

Reaction score
First things that stand out are
1. Use a stock thermostat no need to swap between the 2
2. Don't use the Sinister y-pipe with slip joints. I spent the money on it and they leak.
3.get the new Odawg intake manifold its all new, not a ported stocker.

There are guys way smarter than me on here those are just my first alterations to your list.

Also if you really want to do valve springs and push rods why wouldn't you do them while its getting studded?

Negative on the stock thermostat, had 2 fail within less than 20k miles. Brand new out of the box only held 186*F...but it's set at 192*F. After holding such low temperature as brand new, it quickly faded to low 180s on the first one and high 170s on the second one...I'm good without it.

If not Sinister, who makes good y-pipes?

I will look into Odawg

No valves and pushrods this go around because I'm tapped out on mods currently being done. I can do valves and pushrods by just removing the head covers later on

Ackerdiesel

Reaction score
I'd hold off to do the springs and pushrods. You can thank me later. We have begun using only the BD Diesel Y pipes. If you're just looking for all out towing performance I'd go on with a set of their manifolds aswell. My tow rig has the Colt Stage2 with a Older Kc stage 2 DIY and 190/30s from Holders and tows like it's nobody's business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arkansas89

Reaction score
Knew I forgot to mention something, I had looked at the Colt cams and wanted to get one. Who wrote your tunes to get the 190/30s to tow? Thought you wouldn't want to go above 175s to tow unless running compounds?

Ackerdiesel

Reaction score
Knew I forgot to mention something, I had looked at the Colt cams and wanted to get one. Who wrote your tunes to get the 190/30s to tow? Thought you wouldn't want to go above 175s to tow unless running compounds?

I have ******** and Snyder

Ackerdiesel

Reaction score
How's the mileage and performance with that stage 2 combo with the 190/30s?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eh I haven't calculated. Fresh engine just got broken in haha I'll have numbers within the week if I get it back together.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Do the push rods and valve springs now, while the heads are off doing the studs. Took mine apart after running 190/30s and a combo of stage 2 and 3, and hard valve marks on 6 of my pistons.

Charlie at kc make great turbos. His stage 2 and 190/30s towed my 15k trailer easily. Truck had great street manners, and put down 614 horse track verified, with some water meth. I switched to his stage 3, and it tows well too, but i have to keep a closer eye on my egts and what not. With either turbo, a tune that will lock out oberdrive with the tow haul button is really nice. With the stage 2, normal tow haul, would drop my temps quickly. With the stage 3, the overdrive lockout is almost a necessity. Towing up 8-10% grades, i would start pulling 1300-1350 with normal tow haul, however, i was running an extremely reduced fuel tow tune that doubled as an emissions tune. The truck may have been neutered too much to drive the turbo hard.

For tunes, i personally like idp's tunes. The tsd ones are nice as well, but my trck seems to like idps the best so far. I was not terribly impressed with tyrants, my trans hates his tunes, and it seemed as if the power wasnt really there seat of the pants wise.

Matt_P

Reaction score
I love the setup I put on my dually for regularly towing my 30' gooseneck with 16k+ lbs on it. I never know the trailer is back there. I went with a regulated return, 175/30s, powermax with ******** tunes

slc6oh

Reaction score
im on a kc stage 1.5, and tsd tunes.. runs very well and tows very well on stock injectors. highly doubt its 500 hp, but still runs great. as others have said, i bet 190/30s and charlies stage 2 would be money.

Arkansas89

Reaction score
I may go the KC stage 2 route. Although, 1300-1350 is still a little higher than I want on EGTs. I rode in a 6.0 a year or so ago...just under 19k lbs (not including the truck) turn at a traffic light and immediately climb up a 3 mile 7% grade at 65-67 mph and it only showed 1150-1175 EGTs...it was running compounds though

08Monster

Reaction score
I may go the KC stage 2 route. Although, 1300-1350 is still a little higher than I want on EGTs. I rode in a 6.0 a year or so ago...just under 19k lbs (not including the truck) turn at a traffic light and immediately climb up a 3 mile 7% grade at 65-67 mph and it only showed 1150-1175 EGTs...it was running compounds though
Who makes compounds? Anyone wanna buy a stage 3?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Want an awesome tow power and low egts that make around 525-575hp

33" or smaller tires
175/30 or 190/30 injectors
KC stage 2 turbo (or s362)
Odawg intake manifold
CSF 6028 intercooler
No Limit Air filter

Jomax

Reaction score
Can I be honest? You're about to dump a ton of money in this truck. I say sell it, and get into a 6.7.

A 6.7 with just a tune will run circles around this truck towing. You won't feel anything behind you.

Triumph1188

Reaction score
Can I be honest? You're about to dump a ton of money in this truck. I say sell it, and get into a 6.7.

A 6.7 with just a tune will run circles around this truck towing. You won't feel anything behind you.

I can second that a stock 6.7 tows so much better than any other vehicle I have had. If you want a project, then it sounds like a bunch of fun. If it's simply looking for towing, a 6.7 is amazing even in stock trim.

Arkansas89

Reaction score
I do intend to buy a newer truck down the road. But right now I'm car note free and I'm enjoying it, so I'm looking at it with the project/sleeper mindset

Latest posts

Members online