Spare keys?

s10mike

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a 2003 f250 lariat that i want to get some spare keys made for. I dont know if the truck has the PATS system or not. Right now i have 1 key and a key fob. Some say i need 2 keys to program new ones. Some say thats only for PATS system trucks. Go to dealer? Go to locksmith? Get keys from Amazon, get em cut at Lowes? I would hate to get the wrong key and shut my truck down. Im lost here.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You should not have pats. Is the key head really thin? Pats keys are thick and a larger head. You should be able to have the key cut anywhere, no programming needed. If i remember right, only the excursions ran pats, and the pickups didnt start pats as an option till 08

joebuck

Reaction score
I have a 01 and had ACE hardware cut a new "spare key" and it works flawlessly,i say go pick one up at any hardware store and just check that it works before you leave

Towerguy

Reaction score
Pickups have had PATS at least since 2005 on the Harley editions. I have it on mine. I don't know about earlier models. There was a thread on FTE a couple years back about adapting switchblade keys and the subject came up. That was first I saw about the Harley's being unique in that they were equipped with PATS. I just assumed that all the higher trim packages had it.

eng53ine

Reaction score
Mines a 2002 I paid like $3 for this at a Ford dealer.
e78ed9e6f2cd4f7f91da5ebc5693f281.jpg

10f472a7867e72f16764efe3ea0fd0d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
Pickups have had PATS at least since 2005 on the Harley editions. I have it on mine. I don't know about earlier models. There was a thread on FTE a couple years back about adapting switchblade keys and the subject came up. That was first I saw about the Harley's being unique in that they were equipped with PATS. I just assumed that all the higher trim packages had it.

you would think my KR would have a PATS then ? but I know it doesn't

so tower guy your key is not like the big pics above ?

EDIT I see the Harley has a special embossed key but i still have never seen where it it a PATS truck ? http://hillerford.com/v2/resource_library/2005/2005brochures/2005_superduty.pdf

Last edited:

DIESELDECK

Reaction score
I bought my truck with only one key which is chipped. 2010 F250. I had a couple keys cut at Oriellys and I just keep my chipped key in my truck at all times. I have a regular non chipped key hidden in my frame rail and I carry one in my pocket which will unlock the doors, tailgate and such. I'm bad about losing keys, that's why I keep the chipped one locked up in my truck.

Towerguy

Reaction score
This is the Harley key:

20170108_194112.jpg20170108_194123.jpg20170108_194208.jpg

In the third photo you can see the small door on the end that seals the chip. This is one of two replacement keys I purchased a few years back. The original key that came with the truck when I bought it Sept. 2006 ended up coming apart after I dropped it one too many times allowing the chip to fall out. A couple months after I bought the truck, the company moved me to a project in the Baltimore/DC area. There was a rash of break-ins at area motels and a bunch of our company trucks(all 2005 or later F250's) were hit as well as mine. Thieves punched out the locks in in all of our trucks and expensive test gear was stolen from a number of trucks. They tried to steal my truck as not only the driver's door lock was punched but also the lock cylinder in the column. They had to leave with nothing more than the CD sleeve on the visor and a pair of gloves. The truck was repaired at the dealership, I inquired about a second key and was told it would be something like $180 for the key plus programming. I passed. I did get a pair of new keys several years later after my original key started coming apart, the second dealer was much more reasonable. Still expensive. I still have the other key. I will see if I can locate it, you can see the guts.

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
Thanks man
thats Crazy that I have never heard of the Harley PATS anomaly

Towerguy

Reaction score
Funny, I never even realized it was an anomaly until the thread on FTE I mentioned. The subject came up there. I always assumed that all the high level trim packages had it(Harley, Lariat, KR, and Amarillo). At least starting with the 2005 model year.

Zmann

Reaction score
should all have PATS IMO
but now that doesn't stop the thieves anymore

Latest posts

Members online