2014 6.7 Transmission Issue

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a transmission issue that has started to happen with just 18000 miles on the truck. It's been deleted since it had 6000 miles on it and it mostly gets highway driven for work and then driven slow speeds around job sites. I get on it once in a while and will turn the mini maxx up to performance once a month at the most to have a little fun. I mostly run the truck in tow on the H&S but as of late I've been keeping it on street since I like the extra low end torque boost you get.

Currently I have a 5" flo pro exhaust with S&B intake running gear head tunes. I want to say I am not bashing gear head tuning at all since I couldn't be happier with it!

So with that being said here is the issue I'm having. When I first got the gearhead tunes I was having a small hiccup with a 2-3 shift being rough so gearhead hooked me up with a different file that overall had softer shifting and fixed the 2-3 rough shift. All is good and I was on my way enjoying the truck! A few months have passed now and I have started to notice what sounds like some slipping when shifting from 2-3 and 5-6. Like I mentioned earlier I have been running the truck more so in street lately. On my road trip yesterday I took off from the lights to get in front of another vehicle and when the truck shifted from 2-3 and then I lifted from the throttle it sounded like a bunch of belts squeaking is the best way to describe it. I'm not a transmission tech by any means lol. I also get this when passing someone and I will be in 5th and when shifting to 6th and I will get the same sound too. It's not the torque converter slipping as the rpm's don't jump but it doesn't sound good. I am also having this 2-3 shift flare when the transmission is cold...

I began trying different tunes for the transmission on my 1000 mile trek yesterday and when I ran the stock trans file the belt squeak between 2-3 and 5-6 is way worse! Then I went back to the firm gearhead trans tune and can't recreate the noises between these shifts now. I'm guessing this is to do with the line pressures??

Does anybody know what exactly is going on here? I know it sounds like I have a bad solenoid or I possibly need the re flash? I checked the dipstick on the transmission and the fluid almost smells slightly burnt but the colour is still fine and I could be being paranoid as the trans was up to temp and had been going for a few hours. I believe I saw a couple small small metal shavings on the dipstick but can't be sure. I don't really know where to start with this since now running the firm shift gearhead trans tune I'm only getting the 2-3 shift flare when cold but I know there is a lingering problem if I run any trans tune but the firm shift. I really want to change my filter and fluid and start fresh but I also feel that I should try and take it to the dealer for them to diagnose but haven't taken it back to them for anything power train related while being deleted. Makes me paranoid that there going to black list me and I'll be screwed.

Thanks for any insight to this, Cam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buck1

Reaction score
Sounds like drop the fluid and change filter to see what is in the pan. If you are seeing debris on dipstick, probably not a good sign.

I have an early 11 with similar issues, never had the RSM done for the trams, so I got the solenoids and gonna swap those out.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Sounds like drop the fluid and change filter to see what is in the pan. If you are seeing debris on dipstick, probably not a good sign.

I have an early 11 with similar issues, never had the RSM done for the trams, so I got the solenoids and gonna swap those out.

Yeah I'm going to take it to my local mechanic and get him to change the fluid and get his opinion. I checked the dipstick 10 times and got one tiny metal shaving. Is there a possibility that this is just from breaking in too? Sorry what is RSM ? I want to try and get the solenoids changed and see what happens. I read in a post on powerstroke.org that the one solenoid controls 3rd gear, 5th gear and reverse which would make sense for my issue I hope...

truckman1974

Reaction score
Have this issue, but on a 2015, I'm afraid I'm looking at a new transmission here pretty soon

Would the new tranny be out of your pocket or you'll put all the deleted things back on and then let the dealer check it out? I've heard there's (I don't know exactly what the term was) "mod friendly dealers" or something like that out there.....maybe you find one of those?

Reaction score
If the squall is heard upon a shift that is metal to metal clutches. Your already too late. Been there done that....

Am I the only idiot that has already tore the trans out of a 2015? Probably. But this built 6r140 is the best thing I've done to a 6.7 in a while. Like a whole different truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsmracing1

Reaction score
If the squall is heard upon a shift that is metal to metal clutches. Your already too late. Been there done that....

Am I the only idiot that has already tore the trans out of a 2015? Probably. But this built 6r140 is the best thing I've done to a 6.7 in a while. Like a whole different truck.

Thanks for chiming in Morgan. Its not a consistant squall upon shifting and only in certain gears. Thats too bad this transmission cant even handle a factory 14 turbo with some MCC tuning with only 20000 miles on it now that drives down the highway 90% of the time...

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Yeah it sucks. I killed one in my 11 with just a tune intake and exhaust.

Damn hey. I've only been able to get it to squall once in the past three days. Any potential harm in just trying to ride it out for a while? I'm pulling the pan here on the 29th with a local diesel mechanic as well to see how bad she really is too....

carcare

Reaction score
Put ford friction modifier in trans. Little white and red bottle of magic. I. H

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Dropped the pan today. No shavings or anything that looks suspicious. Added some transmission shudder additive with some new fluid and a new filter. Gonna just take it easy and see what happens. Definitely have a 3-4 shift flare that warranty will deal with. Not too sure about the squall between gears at higher power tunes under a good amount of throttle....

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score

How much power you think your trans can handle?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Dropped the pan today. No shavings or anything that looks suspicious. Added some transmission shudder additive with some new fluid and a new filter. Gonna just take it easy and see what happens. Definitely have a 3-4 shift flare that warranty will deal with. Not too sure about the squall between gears at higher power tunes under a good amount of throttle....
you think that warranty will cover a trans issue when you added tunes to the truck?

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online