Need V10 No Start Help

David N

Reaction score
My parents have a 2000 Excursion with the V10. 4x4 90k miles.

In the past year or so, we have been experiencing a no start issue. It only does it when it is hot. When the issue first arose, the "theft" light would flash quickly. We thought we had it figured out, that the PATS system had malfunction. So we took out the PCM and had Jody at DP Tuner reflash the PCM to ****** the PATS system. Im fairly sure the PATS system is disabled because if I attempt to check it's status, my AE says there's no communication with it.

So fast forward a few weeks, we drive it a few times, and all seems well. Well now its back doing the same thing again. It cranks fine when cold, but after you drive it a few miles, if you shut it off, sometimes it will crank back, and sometimes it won't. The theft light is no longer flashing either. We replaced the battery, but no other parts than that. Also, I noticed when it does this no start issue, we can hear the fuel pump continuously running. It never shuts off.

One of my dad's mechanic friends says he thinks the PCM is bad. Can the fuel pump be bad, but still sound like its operating? Could coils be bad? As far as I know they are all original. Thoughts?

co04cobra

Reaction score
You need to put a fuel psi gauge on it when it's having the no start condition.

Throwing any codes?

David N

Reaction score
You need to put a fuel psi gauge on it when it's having the no start condition.

Throwing any codes?

Sorry I forgot to include that. It is showing fuel pressure when its having the no start issue. ~40psi. And no, absolutely no codes.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Had plugs or coils anytime lately? While cranking but no start does it see RPM?

co04cobra

Reaction score
RPM is something worth looking at on AE while it's not starting.

Next time it does it and you hear the pump running continuously, try pulling the fuel pump relay with the key still on and swapping it around with another.

When it no starts can you communicate with the PCM? Also, try to communicate with the GEM module to.

David N

Reaction score
Yeah the relays don't click when it does its no start thing.

And yes, I can still communicate with it. I've never had a problem with that.

I'll check RPM next time we mess with it. What should it be?

David N

Reaction score
Update and bump,

After talking to my dad, we did check it out some more.

The injectors are not firing and the coils are also not firing during this no start issue. It only does this when the fuel pump is running continuously like I stated earlier. As soon as the fuel pump relay clicks, the fuel pump shuts off and it will immediately start.

We're gonna pull the PCM and visually inspect things inside it.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Sounds like a possible GEM module issue also. Windshield been replaced anytime recently?

Is this the exact same issue it was having before the PATS reflash?

David N

Reaction score
Sounds like a possible GEM module issue also. Windshield been replaced anytime recently?

Is this the exact same issue it was having before the PATS reflash?

No its the factory windshield. The only thing that is swaying us away from the issue you're referring to is that it has always been parked in a temperature controlled garage, and hasn't been driven much over 5,000 miles in 5 years. Its never really sat out in the rain.

And yes, other than the theft light no longer flashing, it is the exact same issue.

Latest posts

Members online