drop in turbo only thread early 99

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
This is where I'm at.I know I would be better off doing the t4 setup but can't afford it and I know my turbo is going bad.no loss in performance but it is definitely changing sounds.don't sound like anything rubbing but it's changing sounds.I figure its a bad brg.my question is.would I be better off getting a new center section for my stock turbo or a brute 66 from dynoproven?really looking for someone who's running one of these (or the beans 66 turbo)in a pretty much stockish truck and how it compares to the stocker.it's going in the truck that's listed in signature..
Thanks
sqrlgtr

Reaction score
I don't have one of the brutes on anything. But I have ridden in Jonathan's dually and man for what's done to it that thing will move out! He is running 230/100's, a brute 66 and a hb. Jr. It lights super fast and the turbo whine sounds so good! It's not super loud but you can definitely hear it moving some air. Its no louder than my s468. Don't quote me but I think he is seeing almost 50psi. That setup he has is so fun it almost makes me regret the t4 and 300/200's. Don't know if that helps any or not but if I was considering a turbo swap on a mostly stock truck that you don't intend to put really big injectors in that's what I would get.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Yeah i probably never go real big on injectors.I guess my biggest concern is I've read where this type of turbo is kinda laggy.I really like the way the stocker spools up but you know how it is when you start having to work on your truck its hard not to upgrade...no doubt them turbos would move more air.
sqrlgtr

cjfarm111

Reaction score
If you plan to do injectors in the future do the e99 to late model conversion. With a 38r

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
All depends on your budget

Yeah really cant afford anything but true drop in.just afraid the brute 66 or dominater 66 would be laggy I'm used to the quick get up of the stock early 99 charger.ifn i knew for sure the brute 66 (dynoproven) would spool as qiuck as the stocker that's probally what I would go with.they have sure been good to deal with.I've been running thier tunes for the last month or so and man what a difference lots of (clean) power and so much more drivable. Old tunes had power but the throttle was way to sensitive.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Musta been dp? And I'm not to familiar with that turbo but are there ex housing options?

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Musta been dp? And I'm not to familiar with that turbo but are there ex housing options?

Dynoproven.com brute 66 and yes Dillon at dynoproven said I could go with .84,1.0 or 1.15.he recomends a1.0.I just wish i could hear from some more people running one.fwiw i believe the early 99 spools quicker than the later turbos.really dont haul to heavy anymore and really like the way the truck gets out of the hole.
sqrlgtr

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Well the smaller exhaust housing will help your spool up but atleast you have options with the b66

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
there is now a drop in 38R. Its like the KC38R or something like that. Supposedly it is quieter than the regular 38R and comes with a billet wheel and is rebuild-able unlike the 38R.

I am planning on getting this turbo it out performs the D66 all day.

http://cncfabricationllc.com/index....components-mounts/kc-turbos-kc38r-l99-03.html

that link shows for L99+ but there is one for the OBS and E99 just not on that site yet.

Google KC38R and there are like 50+ threads form 4 sites that talk about it.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Yeah i can't find out anything on that new turbo.sure would appreciate it if anyone has any information if they would share it with us..
sqrlgtr

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
Thanks fbcowboy,I been researching these but still nothing for drop in on early 99.I did email cncfab.about it just waiting on reply.man I'm wanting to try one of these.also emailed kc turbo and they said later in the year.don't know if I can wait much longer I pretty sure brg.is going out on my stock charger...

euroford

Reaction score
interesting... but really, having done some upgrades, fixed my up-pipes and a bunch of other bla bla bla i really wish i hadn't bothered and had just bought a T4 kit and done it right from the get-go. especially with an E99 or an OBS, this fixes a bunch of problematic items and gets you into a really better charger.

sqrlgtr

Reaction score
I did get an email from Corey at cnc fab.said it was going to be awhile for the early 99 drop in bb turbos.oh well.

hucorey

Reaction score
Correct, I just can't seem to get any shop time to save my life to finish up the OBS KC38R. As soon as that one is done, the e99 version will be right behind it.

I suppose to get you buy, just do a 360* bearing rebuild kit. The e99 stock charger already has the original wicked wheel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online