p1291, p1292, p2291 codes on 2011 f250

Reaction score
Hey guys, so my 6.7's been acting up on me and lately and I've been chasing problems. It went into limp mode a couple weeks ago forcing me too limp the last kilometer home, but then had no problems. However it's been more and more frequent that it goes into limp mode and I'm a bit at a loss. I've been pulling a p1291 and p1292 codes off my edge. My googling found that ford released a tsb on these codes. One of the main issues being DEF in the fuel. So I swapped fuel filters and let the old one dry out, but couldn't find any residue of DEF. Short on time, I was forced to drive the truck the 100 km from the home farm to my place in the city. Truck was fine until I stopped for a three way intersection and it stalled. My edge picked up a 2291 code which was new to me. Starting to worry that I might have injector issues or HPF issues. These are not cheap fixes. Any insight into the issue or stories of past experience are welcome.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Is your fuel gelled? Also, did you get the lower filter tightened all the way? It gets hard to turn before it actually hits the stops, it could be 1 turn out, and that causes all sorts of goofy chit. Hi pressure pump is always a possibility, and unfortunately typically ends up in fuel system replacement. Did you see any shiny bits in your lower filter cap?

Reaction score
The fuel is proper winter fuel so it shouldn't be a problem. I got that cap on tight, I snugged it up with the ratchet. I can't seem to see anything in the filter or cap but I've been away from the home shop where it's currently been sitting for the last week. My diesel mechanics thinking it's probably the def isn't thawing completely since I don't drive it very far very often. He's figuring nox sensor and module, but can't tell for sure until he gets it on his scanner. I'm thinking it might be time for ******s, trucks got 147k km so it's getting there in age.

Reaction score
So I finally got this all dealt with so I figured I'd up date for anybody with similar issues in the future. p2292 was my bad, I improperly installed the new o-ring for the fuel filter causing an improper seal. The p1291 and p1292 were a bad wire to one of the injectors. My mechanic never said which one but said it was pretty straight forward to fix. Ended up being $400 in labour so not as horrible as I had thought (was thinking I might have to do injectors).

RyanG85

Reaction score
There was a TSB that said the harness could rub on a tab on the EGR gasket on the 2011's. Glad it was that simple.

Reaction score
Yea, me too. I had read over the tsb when it first started happening and saw that and was hoping that was the issue. The mechanic never said where the bad wire was though. I think moral of the story is that I need to ****** the ear :D

Latest posts

Members online