2011 4x4 Conversion

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Considering buying a 2wd 2011 F250 and converting it over to 4wd. I've only found one other thread on another site where someone has done this with a 2011+. From my research it appears some of the transmissions you can just swap the tail shaft housing out for a transfer case. Also the rear output on some transfer cases is a slip join and some are a flange style.

All the rest of the conversion I believe will be fairly straight forward using a manual transfer case. I'm planning on buying an entire wrecked truck for parts but I need to know what year/specifics to look for to make this swap as painless as possible.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
I think most people are going to tell you that the expense and time required in a swap like this simply isn't worth it. Just buy a 4x4 truck instead and save yourself the headache.

If you are dead set on doing the swap I'm sure someone else who has done it can swoop in with some info and part numbers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Lots of people 4x4 swap...it's not a big deal. Morgan @ Midwest did it on his reg cab

Buck1

Reaction score
Shouldn't be too bad of a project especially if you find a complete wrecked truck.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Brian22

Reaction score
It would be easier to find a 4x4 chassis with all the suspension parts still on it and swap over the body, engine, & transmission onto the 4x4 frame.

Last edited:

co04cobra

Reaction score
We've did several of the 11 up. Not really a big deal at all. If you get a good deal on the 2wd go for it.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far. Closed the deal on the truck yesterday and working with Sootie for all the conversion parts. He has everything except for a manual transfer case if anyone has a lead on one.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Got the truck all converted and the new transmission is not registering that it's in park. Is there any programming that I should have to do with a transmission swap?

griz700rocket

Reaction score
First conversion is done and getting ready to start another. Any wiring gurus out there want to help me with making the 4x4 dash light work?

Latest posts

Members online