Holding heat

Newb

Reaction score
I own a 2000 f250 with a 8 inch lift, 20s with 35s. My question is I can let this truck get up to running temp and drive it for a good thirty minutes in 20degree weather and after shutting her down and plugging in, I can come back in an hour and have to start from cold. Also if I'm in town stopping at lights and not really puting a load on her, she will keep dropping temp. Wondering if it's a thermostat, but figured it sat for a year so it would not be that easy

TARM

Reaction score
Does the coolant get up to normal operating temp even by the idiot gauge by the time you are at work? Even though I have seen that gauge show normal temp but the t-stat was not working so take it only as a first step.

30 mins should be plenty to get coolant to temp at that outside temp if you are driving it. The first thing is to establish if it is or is not getting up to at least the t stat temp of 195 or so. If you have an IR thermo you could aim it at the top rad hose and see what you get once it been driven on your typical drive.

Sounds like a partially stuck open or not fully closing T stat.
IF you change it out do not get a STANT IMO. I have seen so many of those fail or not work right. Same goes for NAPA or any of the auto store brands. Get a motorcraft or a robert shaw if you can find one. Make sure its for the 97+ PS ie long stem. The 192-195 is fine; ideally 203 is better IMO but not a must. Depends again on what your temps are looking like which can be effected by the over all health of the rad, oil cooler, etc..

gnxtc2

Reaction score
IF you change it out do not get a STANT IMO. I have seen so many of those fail or not work right. Same goes for NAPA or any of the auto store brands. Get a motorcraft or a robert shaw if you can find one.

This is so true of the Stant T-Stat.....pure junk.

Also make sure the fan clutch is not locked up all the time as the coolant will never warm up.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Latest posts

Members online