Block heater issue

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
It has been cold as sh!t here with snow so I've been plugging my truck in. Noticed yesterday it did not start with the remote start so I started it with the key. Same thing this morning, no remote start, but the horn honks which I know is a sign that there is an issue. Started truck this morning and it was 8*, yesterday it was 10* or so. I'm guessing there is a problem with the cord or the block heater. Anybody have a similar experience? Truck is a '13, full weight loss, almost 72k on it.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Is there a CEL? I don't think the truck would know if the heater works or doesn't, but maybe.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
No CEL. Just did a quick Google search and it seems that the cords go bad or can become unplugged. I'll check it later on when I get out of work and it's light out.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
It has been cold as sh!t here with snow so I've been plugging my truck in. Noticed yesterday it did not start with the remote start so I started it with the key. Same thing this morning, no remote start, but the horn honks which I know is a sign that there is an issue. Started truck this morning and it was 8*, yesterday it was 10* or so. I'm guessing there is a problem with the cord or the block heater. Anybody have a similar experience? Truck is a '13, full weight loss, almost 72k on it.
Its either the wire or the Heating element.I have changed both at one time or another.Neither are to hard to do.You need to drain the coolant to change the element it sits on passenger side of motor ,towards the rear of block.Might want to check that the circuit breaker that the extension cord is plugged into,isnt tripped.The truck will NOT know if the heater element is faulty,so the HORN honking,is related to something else.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Should say that I tried remote start when I got to work and truck was warmed up and it worked no problem. I'll check CTS2 later for codes.

Side note just called my service rep at Ford and he suggested that the remote start may not be working because of a door being open or door lock being corroded. I'm going to clean them all today after work so hopefully this clears the remote start issue.

Last edited:

ckrueg

Reaction score
Could it be glow plug related? My truck started perfectly this morning and it was about 10, not plugged it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kxc

Reaction score
Just a note, the ecm and the glow plug module do talk when the engine is off and it does know if the block heater is on or off. If you had a glow plug issue that too should throw a code. Current through each plug is monitored by the ecm. Is there a delay built into your auto start to allow the plugs to heat up? Even at 0 degrees F they only need 2 seconds to reach full temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Auto start is factory unit. I'm going to check plug connection and use a test light on the cord to make sure I have power. Also going to blow the door locks/hood latch out to see if remote start works. NJ is a salt happy state so I wouldn't be surprised if connection altered in one of those points. Last winter my passenger side mirror became so encrusted with crap that it wouldn't fold in.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Could it be glow plug related? My truck started perfectly this morning and it was about 10, not plugged it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My truck did start this morning no issues at 8* just not with the remote start. Got to work after truck warmed up and I tried remote for heck of it and it worked.

dsberman94

Reaction score
My truck did start this morning no issues at 8* just not with the remote start. Got to work after truck warmed up and I tried remote for heck of it and it worked.

Honestly, it should start fairly easy even cold. It's common rail. Simple way to know if the block heater is working is to look at the oil temp either on the dash or a monitor device, is it ambient or not? (Rhetorical question) At that point you know that it's working or isn't.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Just a note, the ecm and the glow plug module do talk when the engine is off and it does know if the block heater is on or off. If you had a glow plug issue that too should throw a code. Current through each plug is monitored by the ecm. Is there a delay built into your auto start to allow the plugs to heat up? Even at 0 degrees F they only need 2 seconds to reach full temp.

It knows the temp of the coolant,It doesn't actually know if the block heater is being used,the block heater and wire are stand alone,no way connected to ECM

Kxc

Reaction score
It must use ambient temp sensor , coolant temp sensor and engine rpm to determine if the heater is being used because it's in the logic for some diag codes. I'll have to look it up later I forget where I read it. Doesn't really apply here but thought I would mention it .

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
So after work it was 21* out and truck started fine with remote start. I'm thinking a door lock or something was frozen. Plugged it in again tonight so we'll see if I have same issue in the morning.

Magnetic 2016 f250

Reaction score
My money is on the hood switch. If you double press the lock button every time when locking the truck it will honk twice to let you know a door/hood is not closed. This will not let remote start work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

04cr450

Reaction score
Seems that maintaining fresh batteries make or break these truck's electronics. It's tough because the starterS in these things are very torquey and will not lack if batteries are getting weak. Only a meter will tell if the batteries are showing their age.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
The truck has absolutely no idea if the block heater is plugged in or not.

Coolant temp means nothing to the knowledge of whether it's on/off.

CEL or door switch.

Latest posts

Members online