DEF level sensor issues?

JD3020

Reaction score
Signed the papers on a clean 1 owner '14 with 54k miles today. Truck is spotless, and has obvious signs of being babied its whole life. Local truck and theres maintenance records for it. I've actually put close to 400 miles on it this week. We originally test drove it Monday for a while, negotiated the price Tuesday, Wednesday got a call that after it was detailed it was in limp mode. I've never been able to talk to the tech but from what i've gathered from the paperwork and what not they got water in the EOT plug when they washed the engine and it freaked out. Replaced the pigtail(i have paperwork for it) and its been fine. To make things right i actually picked the truck up yesterday and put 200 miles on it, and then put another 150-200 since i bought it.

Truck has ran absolutely flawless the entire time. Spent most of the day hooked to a trailer and its blown me away how smooth and powerful the 6.7 is compared to any of my 7.3's or 6.0's. Unhooked the trailer and then put some more miles on it tonight going to dinner and doing some stuff for my birthday. At one point when i started the truck tonight there was a message saying i only had 500 miles of DEF left, ignored it and went on. Little while later i started the truck up again and now it said 480 miles of DEF left, which i'd probably gone 20 miles or so. Again thought nothing of it and went on. Even later i hopped in and never got a message. So after probably 20 miles on the highway i noticed the CEL was on. Went into the screen and it says DEF level is OK, which not but an hour or two ago it was telling me it was low. Still the truck hasn't missed a beat and starts up as soon as you turn the key, no noises or anything.

So does it sound i'm having a issue with the DEF sensors? The truck is "certified pre-owned" which i was told means it has a 12 month/12k bumper to bumper warranty starting today, plus the rest of the factory engine warranty. I'd like to ****** it simply for MPG's, but planned to wait a little while. Not even sure if my AutoEnginuity will pull codes on this thing to check it out, and don't really have time right now to take it back to the dealer. Just looking for some input before i stress myself out. Haven't even owned the truck for 12 hours at this point. :fustrate:

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I bought a used 15 about 4 months ago and on the trip home mine started giving me the warning. I stopped at a big truck stop and filled both. Mine only took a gallon of def so something was not working correctly. Mine had been on the lot for awhile no one wanted an xl truck so maybe the def was geling up? I am not sure. But in 4k miles it hasn't come back on again and truck hasn't miss a beat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

JD3020

Reaction score
Did you just get a warning message or a check engine light? I have no clue when the light came on, hoping i can get my laptop hooked up today to read and clear it and find out what was going on. Just not sure if my scantool program is new enough to do it, newest vehicle i've worked on so far is an 05, '14 is a bit newer. LOL

DEF was supposed to be filled as part of the program the truck went through, got a full service, but who knows if they did. Truck was traded in early last week, so i don't think its sat around long enough to bother anything.

JD3020

Reaction score
Surprisngly i scanned the truck easily, considering it can be a PITA getting it to connect to my 7.3's or Jeep. Only code is a P0401, EGR insufficient flow. Nothing DEF related so still not sure whats going on there. Guess i can run up to the truck stop today and fill up with #2 and DEF. Sucks that i already burnt through 1/2 tank since 2:30 yesterday when the dealer filled it up for me. Damn CCSB's. LOL
15941504_10211965482194859_1196437073805762436_n.jpg

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
you can't ignore the warnings and flashy lights on the dash in these new fancy rides. you will go into limp mode and possibly be shut completely down..

that is the reason I dereeted mine when I did.. def and exhaust sensors started getting finicky..

hope you don't expect a big gain in mpg when putting her on the Jenny Craig diet. might get 1mpg better.. should have got a cclb with a bigger tank..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I kept getting the def level low message and then it started its count down just as you mentioned. I think i was at about 420 when we rolled into the station to refill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

JD3020

Reaction score
Everything seems fine now. Put quite a few miles on it since this started and everything seems fine now. Filled up at a truck stop last night and put a hair over 2 gallons of DEF in and rolled on. Haven't had anymore codes or messages.

Well aside from last night when i mashed the throttle and thought the truck was killing itself, until i realized it was just traction control working. LOL Taking me a while to get used to this truck.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Everything seems fine now. Put quite a few miles on it since this started and everything seems fine now. Filled up at a truck stop last night and put a hair over 2 gallons of DEF in and rolled on. Haven't had anymore codes or messages.

Well aside from last night when i mashed the throttle and thought the truck was killing itself, until i realized it was just traction control working. LOL Taking me a while to get used to this truck.
hold the trac control button down for like 10 seconds.. it will shut it off till you go sideways..

live life full throttle

PDT1081

Reaction score
hold the trac control button down for like 10 seconds.. it will shut it off till you go sideways..

live life full throttle

You have to be stopped with your foot on the brake. "Advanced Trac Off" will show up on the dash. I've spun all the way around without it kicking out.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You have to be stopped with your foot on the brake. "Advanced Trac Off" will show up on the dash. I've spun all the way around without it kicking out.
what year is yours? my 12 does it at any time..

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
13. May have been a one time thing as I don't fool around very much. Flatlands mean deep ditches and narrow roads.
yeah I hear ya. I know the years after the 12s they changed that up to where you can't activate it at any time..

live life full throttle

JD3020

Reaction score
Looks like i'll be making a call to the dealer. EGR code came back this evening, truck still hasn't missed a beat but hopefully they can get it taken care of. Although i'm glad i got a low mileage truck, put right at 670 miles on it since i first test drove it and signed a price agreement last Monday. Almost seems like i'm making up reasons to drive somewhere just because i love driving this thing. LOL

Jomax

Reaction score
Looks like i'll be making a call to the dealer. EGR code came back this evening, truck still hasn't missed a beat but hopefully they can get it taken care of. Although i'm glad i got a low mileage truck, put right at 670 miles on it since i first test drove it and signed a price agreement last Monday. Almost seems like i'm making up reasons to drive somewhere just because i love driving this thing. LOL

Aren't they amazing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD3020

Reaction score
Aren't they amazing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really is. I kept going back and forth between paying cash for a 7.3, or taking out a loan for a 6.7. So far i'm glad i glad i went this route. Going to be really hard to convince myself to jump into my 7.3 F-450 once spring rolls around and we're back in our normal work routine. Especially when i remember i have a 3rd pedal to deal with, instead of a couple buttons on the shifter. :doh:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
dereet it now and be done with those codes.. only issue a 6.7 has is with its emissions chit!

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.