Ball bearing T4 kits

cRaZy8

Reaction score
Has anyone swapped out their Borg Warner S300 turbos for a ball bearing upgrade model from another brand- Precision, Turbonetics, Garrett, etc?

If so, would love to hear some feedback.

thewrubelator

Reaction score
Lot of people have. I've driven a couple trucks with Precision and Garrets, and they do seem to come alive quicker. But for the price difference I don't see the point until you're getting into the big S400/S500/GT55 frame chargers.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
We are in the process of doing some testing... making some s300 dual ball bearing turbos. We started with the S369 and all the testers have been SUPER HAPPY. All testers reported that the turbos run cooler and spool about 150-200rpms faster.

Project is moving slow, because we have a couple of other big projects that have taken priority. We hope to start offering some s300 dual ball bearing turbos to the public later this year.

cRaZy8

Reaction score
So theoretically you could jump up one size larger charger and have the same spool up time?
Typically do ball bearing units last longer between service intervals?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
We are in the process of doing some testing... making some s300 dual ball bearing turbos. We started with the S369 and all the testers have been SUPER HAPPY. All testers reported that the turbos run cooler and spool about 150-200rpms faster.

Project is moving slow, because we have a couple of other big projects that have taken priority. We hope to start offering some s300 dual ball bearing turbos to the public later this year.

Can't wait for this ^

cjfarm111

Reaction score
A ball bearing sxe would be amazing. Keep us posted on this please and if you need a tester I would be happy to try one. I have the sxe 364.5 curentlyy

KCTurbos

Reaction score
So theoretically you could jump up one size larger charger and have the same spool up time?
Typically do ball bearing units last longer between service intervals?

Yes and No.

Yes theoretically you could jump up 1 or 2 sizes and still have the same spool up with the ball bearing version. We are also looking into getting some .83ar t4 divided housing with internal wastegates made for the larger 73mm turbine wheels... which could theoretically spool faster and have the same flow as the .91ar housing.

NO ball bearing turbos are typically MORE sensitive to oil changes. You want to keep the oil nice and clean.

cRaZy8

Reaction score
NO ball bearing turbos are typically MORE sensitive to oil changes. You want to keep the oil nice and clean.

I should have worded that differently.
Are the service intervals on rebuilding the turbo center section longer or shorter with BB compared to journal bearings?

I would be very interested in a BB SXE unit.
Currently running a 362.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I should have worded that differently.
Are the service intervals on rebuilding the turbo center section longer or shorter with BB compared to journal bearings?

I would be very interested in a BB SXE unit.
Currently running a 362.

On a well taken care of unit you should get a very long service life... I would say similar to OEM, but when you push a turbo any harder you will get less life out of them.

A lot of people think that ALL TURBOS should last 200,000 miles like stock turbos can. But the truth is when you push the turbos to their limits every day, then it is less likely to get the same service life out of them.

cRaZy8

Reaction score
Amen to that. My old Powermax Stage2 had to be rebuilt after about 18-20k miles.
Shaft play was getting pretty sloppy.

If I get another year out of this S362 I would be happy. Its been about 1.5yrs now.
Definitely want to go BB on the next one.