Another Chugging 7.3

EPA

Reaction score
One of my 7.3s has been chugging for a while now.. Power was a bit low until I disconnected the ebp sensor (in front of the engine) a couple days ago.. After disconnecting it throttle felt responsive and smooth and the chugging at low rpms including idle was reduced a good bit.. Truck also runs way quieter now... I dont think the ebpv was stuck shut as I can hear it close up in the morning and open up when I touch the brake to drive away... Still exhaust tone has a good chug to it... Removed the muffler a week ago and it sounded like a helicopter haha. Icp, ipr fuel pressure all good. Also kinda sounds like a v8 gasser with a fouled plug at idle.. You can tell its not 100%.. When I hit it hard the turbo kicks on and even as it sits without any tune its able to slowly pull away from stock 2008 6.7 cummins and mini Cooper s haha so power is there... Icp is new. Cover harnesses changed. Oil is good. This has been an issue for several months... I had low fuel pressure issue right about the time I think this started.. Could I have damaged an injector? Doesn't smoke. Compression is even and good all across. Any ideas? Maybe ipr? Injector damage.. I'm all ears.

EPA

Reaction score
Should also add that the chug does not shake the engine cold or hot.. Also its a bit worse on a cold start and clears up a tad after it warms up a bit... There is a very slight vibration though but not terrible it continues to about 1800rpm if parked and reving.

EPA

Reaction score
So more on that 7.3... Drove it around today a bit ran fine other then the exhaust chug...parked it for half hour when I started it the truck had fuel knock.. From both sides.. Hpop was also a bit lower.. 430-450... It was vibrating the rig a bit.. I took off and it atarted sounding better.. By the time I hit the highway it sounded a bit more "normal".. Hit it hard pulling into the house and the engine sounded fine... No fuel knock.. Hpop 470-490. Could this be an hpop issue? Im still thinking injector issue.. Any ideas? And no it didnt surge just knocked, the knock has happened before... Sounded like the time #8 was going south on another truck.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So more on that 7.3... Drove it around today a bit ran fine other then the exhaust chug...parked it for half hour when I started it the truck had fuel knock.. From both sides.. Hpop was also a bit lower.. 430-450... It was vibrating the rig a bit.. I took off and it atarted sounding better.. By the time I hit the highway it sounded a bit more "normal".. Hit it hard pulling into the house and the engine sounded fine... No fuel knock.. Hpop 470-490. Could this be an hpop issue? Im still thinking injector issue.. Any ideas? And no it didnt surge just knocked, the knock has happened before... Sounded like the time #8 was going south on another truck.
How many miles on injectors and what oil are you running and miles on oil?

live life full throttle

EPA

Reaction score
What is fuel pressure at idle and during acceleration?

live life full throttle

60-68 at all times. Just started the truck a bit ago and let it high idle for a few minutes... Decided to read temp at each cylinder exhaust port and 1 port was 40 degrees colder... Now I'm almost certain an injector is bad.
I picked these junk injectors up from a guy who sold his 7.3... He claimed they were all rebuilt not that long ago but I doubt it now haha... Its looking like I need to send them out to rose wood.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
60-68 at all times. Just started the truck a bit ago and let it high idle for a few minutes... Decided to read temp at each cylinder exhaust port and 1 port was 40 degrees colder... Now I'm almost certain an injector is bad.
I picked these junk injectors up from a guy who sold his 7.3... He claimed they were all rebuilt not that long ago but I doubt it now haha... Its looking like I need to send them out to rose wood.
Unless he had paperwork showing proof then i wouldn't trust it. Id assume the same. But again, what oil are you running and how many miles on oci?

live life full throttle

EPA

Reaction score
Unless he had paperwork showing proof then i wouldn't trust it. Id assume the same. But again, what oil are you running and how many miles on oci?

live life full throttle

Rotella 5 40. Havent made the switch to le yet... Been driving the ranger alot so haven't needed to change any oil on the diesels yet... This oil has about 2k on it... Still nice and golden... I change oil around 4k. Once I confirm and pull these I will switch over to le. Will single shot 160/80s or 180/80s use more oil then stock ad splits? If my injectora need more then 800$ to rebuild I may upgrade.

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Where are you located at? Do you know of a injector shop near you that can test em?

EPA

Reaction score
Where are you located at? Do you know of a injector shop near you that can test em?

Currently in Monterey Ca. Anything automive around here is crazy expensive... I need to get a good obd reader to perform tests... What I'm going to do today is pull that injector and swap it out with another that appears to be working. Hopefully the issue follows.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
No obd devices help on 7.3s.

I use a cutout box that's from 1994.5 lmao.

EPA

Reaction score
No obd devices help on 7.3s.

I use a cutout box that's from 1994.5 lmao.

Im going to look at that... Never heard of it until now ..just found a write up.
Cant I run contribution and buzz with Ae... Hooked up to the obd-2 port? I guess at the end I would still be pulling the covers to test it all as I am now.. The buzz test would be nice for testing electrical side..

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'm sure the electrical part is fine. Contribution test is absolutely useless. Buzz test isn't going to do anything for you. Your problem is on the fueling side I'm guessing.

EPA

Reaction score
I'm sure the electrical part is fine. Contribution test is absolutely useless. Buzz test isn't going to do anything for you. Your problem is on the fueling side I'm guessing.

Good to know... Save a few bucks.. I will swap around these injectors in a bit and post results... I do have a few old injectors laying around the garage.. Might just give them a try until I find one that works out as a temporary thing.

Last edited:

EPA

Reaction score
So I started pulling things back apart when I noticed a wire sticking out of a loom... Decided to twist is around a few times... Its very hard to get to ( between and under ac compressor and glow plug relay) but it's in the same loom that goes to the passenger side injector harness.. The wire has a slightly brittle spot... Turned the rig on and the chug is 80 percent gone... The exhaust temp matches all the others as it got hotter... This maybe my issue, wire could be causing an intermittent resistance. Im going to take it for a spin in a bit. If no go back to swapping injectors... I HATE removing injectors haha.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online