Oil leak

Rhino806

Reaction score
I recently just bought my truck. I didn't notice anything unusual when I bought it. It was snowing and I didn't crawl all the way underneath it. I did peak under it and it looked fine. Today I crawled under it to change the fuel filter. Wow.... oil everywhere on the motor and oil pan. Truck has been leaking a long time. I've put less than 1k on it. I need ideas on what to do and look for. Im new to powerstrokes. Always been a Cummins guy. Figured I'd try one out.

Attachments

• 20201101_155308.jpg
    20201101_155308.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
  • 20201101_155319.jpg
    20201101_155319.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92

ncollins64

Reaction score
Could be lots of things, oil cooler, oil pan, anything. I’d say get some degreaser and soak everything from top to bottom and pressure wash it clean then start searching for a leak.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Id be leaning towards upper oil pan, but seen plenty of vacuum pumps leak bad enough to completely rust proof underneath trucks. And like was said, only way to know for sure is clean the hell out of it, probably install some oil dye, 2 bottles, anf drive it to figure out where its coming from. The dye is uv reactive, so it will glow if you get your hands on a if flashlight, that will make it much easier to pinpoint the leak.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Rhino806

Reaction score
It got dark on me and its coming from up high on the motor. Pretty sure its not the oil pan or anything down low. I found some threads on other forums about the CCV. I'm thinking that's what the plastic box is behind the fuel filter on the motor. Its weird, There's no oil on the ground but its a bad leak.

ncollins64

Reaction score
I’d still clean the hell out of everything just because but yes ccv can cause it too. I reroute every single truck of mine and customers because I don’t like the oil film in the entire intake tract

webb06

Reaction score
Judging by the oil all over the side of the head I’d be looking at ccv box or the seals around injectors in the valve cover/intake manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.