Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 7.3 Tech

Old 06-03-2020, 02:19 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Had an "ozone" plastic smell last weekend, raised the hood and the power lead on the GPR was glowing red.... Looks like I am going to need this thread.... Thanks!
Old 06-03-2020, 04:16 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybreaker View Post
Had an "ozone" plastic smell last weekend, raised the hood and the power lead on the GPR was glowing red.... Looks like I am going to need this thread.... Thanks!
Dang! what was the cause? Did the GPR get stuck closed?

I hope you can find it helpful.
If at all possible could you post pics of what you do. It would be a benefit to the thread if GPR differences were included. Also let me know if I can help.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:18 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

When I get the stancor relay in I'll get it started.... No clue what the cause was. I replaced the GPR in 2015,
Old 06-19-2020, 04:56 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

You saved yourself about $385 for a new loom from Ford. The good part is there is a lot of good experience in doing this, no trouble will suprise you.
Diesel Mechanic 40 yrs
Now 120 truck Fleet, 80 plus CNG powered
Old 10-25-2020, 08:39 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Nice thread. I'm going to replace my entire harness with a factory one just because I want a known quantity as far as wire condition, and also new UVC harness, gaskets etc. I've had a lot of oil in the engine compartment due to a major HPOP blowout, HPO line blowout and leaking twin pumps. I think my hood liner has a gallon of oil in it now (it's getting replaced also). However, I also really like the idea of upgrading some of those higher current wires as part of the replacement. I like the way the loom covers you made look and I'm wondering if I couldn't slide those right over the factory loom when I do mine, if theres any benefit to that, or should I ditch the plastic loom for this stuff. The plastic has demonstrated it is fragile and prone to breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroked162 View Post
... I don't want to be left assuming you're a dipchit. I want you to prove it to me...
Old 10-25-2020, 09:20 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

The braided covering I used is a split loom, so it can be installed over the factory harness just fine. That infact was my original plan until I dug into it.
I highly recommend using the Painless performance brand split braid, or the classic. The amazonian cheap stuff it tried to get away with melted where it contacted the engine. Having to redo a finished job is a bummer.

Sent from my BV9800Pro using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2020, 09:38 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Excellent feedback, thank you. I am definitely focused on having the best possible harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroked162 View Post
... I don't want to be left assuming you're a dipchit. I want you to prove it to me...