P2291 code

F350eightyAM

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,
I want to start by saying any help advice is much appreciated. My truck sat for three days before i tried starting it. When I did I wasn't thinking and just started cranking with out letting the glow plugs warm. As soon as I did it threw the P2291 code immediately. I changed the fuel filters since cleared the codes and tried to get it started again. The low pressure fuel pump is working it fills up the fuel filter bowl. There is no metal shavings in the bowl either. While starting the pressure starts at 100 gets up to 200 but never get to the high pressure it is supposed to have. I'm thinking it the HPFP has gone out there is 180k on this truck what do you guys think???

F350eightyAM

Reaction score
Update

Replaced the HPFP and lift pump. Then bled 1/4 of tank of fuel getting the air bubbles out. Still no pressure building up. Checked the oil and there's fuel in the oil. So there is a failure somewhere in the fuel rail. When truck first failed to
start I was starting and immediately it threw the code. Made a popping noise. I'm going to pull the valve cover. Any input much appreciated.

F350eightyAM

Reaction score
UPDATE... Pulled the passenger side valve cover diesel is just leaking in to the engine via the high pressure pump. When I turn the key diesel is pouring out, Can't see where the leak is coming one of the back two injectors. Going to work on it more tomorrow

F350eightyAM

Reaction score
Replaced HPFP thinking that was the problem. No pressure is building up in fuel system. I have pulled the valve covers. Then pulled each glow plug one at a time KOEO then hearing the fuel drain out into the drain pan. I was doing this thinking the cylinder would fill with fuel and come out the glow plug hole indicating which cylinder has the open injector. When I did this all of the passenger side cylinders had oil all over the glow plugs. I am scratching my head any input much appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.