ABS and Traction control lights after new batteries

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Simple enough. Batteries took a dive, got some new cheapies from Auto Zone and threw them in. Now Im getting a "Service Advancetrac" message and the ABS and Traction Control dash lights are on.

I didnt have these codes before I changed the batteries. Ive driven the truck about 70 miles, nothing seems to be wrong. Ive turned the truck on and off at least a dozen times since the battery change.

Why would this happen after new batteries?

I have read its probably a wheel speed sensor. The autozone code reader shows no codes and I dont have access to a real scanner without paying a shop. (I dont have forscan or the patience to wait for a bluetooth reader from amazon and Im selling the truck right now anyways).

Details: 2012 F350 237,000 miles 35x18MTs on a 3" level

afhanson72

Reaction score
I have a 2011. Mine does it due to the OBD reader I have plugged to monitor gauges. It’s only sporadic so I just unplug it and put it back in. Not sure if you’re using one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
I have a 2011. Mine does it due to the OBD reader I have plugged to monitor gauges. It’s only sporadic so I just unplug it and put it back in. Not sure if you’re using one.

unfortunately no I dont.

I have tried unhooking the batteries all night, both pos and neg.
Ive tried leaving the keys on and unhooking the batteries for 15-20 mins and hooking the batteries back up with key on.
Still have the lights.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
My advice get a bluetooth reader and a applicable software. This can be done for free via forscan with a windows laptop or torque is like $5 bucks for android. A obd2 adapter is like 10 bucks. This will allow you to see what is triggering the issue. As a bonus you can real time monitor your truck.
Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011NSX27A?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
My advice get a bluetooth reader and a applicable software. This can be done for free via forscan with a windows laptop or torque is like $5 bucks for android. A obd2 adapter is like 10 bucks. This will allow you to see what is triggering the issue. As a bonus you can real time monitor your truck.
Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD2...

Oh yea Im all about the scanner and stuff, just was slightly hoping someone would hop on here and be like "here is the exact solution to your problems and itll only cost you $1 to fix". You know what I mean?

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Lol i own 2 powerstrokes and have had multiple 6.0s... i know what you mean. And now you know why i have 4 or 5 obd2 readers one for my shop amd each truck.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Is the maf sensor plugged in or damaged?

live life full throttle

It doesnt appear to be damaged. Its plugged in.

MAF if mass air flow sensor right? Somehow it must be related to wheel spin?

I dont have any loss of power and the truck drives fine.

One of my friends said that the wheel sensor maybe has low voltage that the computer ignores after so long and that I "reset" the computer by removing the batteries the computer no longer ignores the low voltage.

Seems to me kinda odd that a computer would ignore a sensor that could be going bad? Anyways I ordered a bluetooth deal and Ill just have to wait and see which I hate doing

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
With out live data hard to throw out wheel speed sensors. Might check the front hubs. On my older 6.0s the speed sensor would usually fail right before the hub bearing.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Got it figured out.

The wheel speed sensor was out ever so slightly like the suitcase latch was barely barely off. Visually it looked fine, but I was pulling on the wires and noticed that it was off slightly. Squeezed it back together firmly and BAM no more dash lights. Must have gotten hit with a stick or rock or something.