My Should Not Have Bought This Project

cccj

Reaction score
If there was coolant in the bottom end. You really should pull the pan, clean it out, and look at your bearings. Jmo

Now thinking about it, I agree with you. I need to get this on the road, but I should be able to look at them in frame.

groove

Reaction score
Yep, have a look at the bearings now - might save you doing the job again next week
How did the turbo rebuild go?

webb06

Reaction score
Now thinking about it, I agree with you. I need to get this on the road, but I should be able to look at them in frame.

You won't have room to pull the pan all the way out with the engine in frame. You'll be able to get all the bolts out but you won't have hardly any room to see.

Zmann

Reaction score
how does a popped freeze plug vehicle wind up in an insurance auction ??

co04cobra

Reaction score
how does a popped freeze plug vehicle wind up in an insurance auction ??

Dealer is sick of it and doesn't want to put it through his normal auction, and stick one of his buddies with it.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
if you've dealt with many 6.4 failures, you'll understand why the default go-to on stuff like this is a "new engine" quote. it's cut and dry and gets the truck back on the road ASAP

even if they'd found the freeze plug, you think they'd want to let the truck go without tearing it down to check the bottom end after the oil pan was full of water?

patch jobs often come back to bite REPUTABLE shops because when something unforseen pops up, and the cab has to come back of again (or multiple times) the shop loses money and the customer still isn't happy with the price and how long it took to get it sorted out.

with all the time, labor, and money in parts you're going to have in it, I'd yank the short block and go through it/overhaul it

just my .02

Zmann

Reaction score
Dealer is sick of it and doesn't want to put it through his normal auction, and stick one of his buddies with it.

in my area normal auctions are how dealers dump vehicles that don't meet the dealers standards they sell "as is" end of story
how would a dealer get an insurance company to take the truck and then auction it ?

that is usually left for say it was stolen and then recovered puking coolant

or vandalism was claimed as the cause of the failure so the insurance company paid out as a total and has the truck to auction

co04cobra

Reaction score
Just because its at a insurance auction doesn't mean that insurance paid it off. Does the truck have a R title?

hucorey

Reaction score
I got a set of vr head gaskets from Rudy's also, they said they are the same as oem. They told me that's who makes the oem gaskets for ford, idk. They look the same also, I didn't use them and bought ford ones.

They are both made by VR, but they are not identical. Just ask the 6.0l owners. Nice truck though.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Something I was told while working on a 6.4 is that there are actually two different types of VR gaskets. An old styler and a newer style. Don't remember which ones were preferable.

Latest posts

Members online