NOOB: Oxy/Acetylene vs. Electric Arc Welder

ToMang07

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm thinking it's about damn time I get a welder. I have a electrical hookup I could use for 220 for an arc welder, but I'm thinking It'd be better to have a cut torch, anyway.

So my question is, what is better, and why?

Regardless, I'll be buying used, as I'll (hopefully) be doing a budget build flatbed. Money is tight, but I'm at the point where I just want/need a damn bed for my truck, and I'm pretty sure that after buying a torch/welder I'll still be saving money.

I'm a total noob. I have never welded in my life. More than willing to learn, I'm always looking to expand my skill set. Just don't know anybody local that has the tools to teach me.

I'm leaning Oxy/Acetylene. I like the idea of a cut torch, and I just think I'l get more use out of it that way. Seems price is about the same all around.

I'd appreciate all the advice/tips given!

ToMang07

Reaction score
Perhaps I should have said "Brazing" instead. Still learning the terms. :fustrate:

tensixniner

Reaction score
I love oxy-acetylene, and you can do what your asking with it, but I think you would be better off with a good quality mig machine.

Oxy-acetylene can be dangerous and frustrating if you don't have the experience/knowledge to use it.
For cutting metal I think a sawzall, zip cut, hacksaw ... etc would be easier and more useful for you.

Brazing and welding are two different things.
You're not going to want to braze a trailer or truck bed together.
Welding would be stronger and joint configurations would be simpler.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Ok, so Brazing isn't as strong then? Good to know.

So what kind of electric welders should I be looking at then? 110 or 220? Amps?

What's the main difference between wire/flux and mig?

Again, this is a budget build and I'll probably be buying used.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Kind - You will get a bunch of opinions. I like my Miller, but guys like Lincolns also. Pick what you like and forget everyones opinion. The one thing I would say is stay with the normal names, dont cheap out. The main reason is the duty cycle drops a lot with the cheaper ones. Trust me you will notice it while welding.
Mig and Flux - Mig has gas, flux is flux cored wire with no gas. Just think of it as a stick welder on a roll.
If you have 220 buy a 220 welder, will not out grow it.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Kind - You will get a bunch of opinions. I like my Miller, but guys like Lincolns also. Pick what you like and forget everyones opinion. The one thing I would say is stay with the normal names, dont cheap out. The main reason is the duty cycle drops a lot with the cheaper ones. Trust me you will notice it while welding.
Mig and Flux - Mig has gas, flux is flux cored wire with no gas. Just think of it as a stick welder on a roll.
If you have 220 buy a 220 welder, will not out grow it.

Well I know nothing about the brands anyway. The 4 I see the most are Lincoln, Miller, CRAPsman, and Chicago. Chicago is sold by Harbor Freight.... so my assumption is they are crap. CRAPsman...well you can tell my feelings there.

My goal is to find a Lincoln or Miller. But like I said, I have no experience, which is why I'm looking for others' suggestions/help.

If I'm not getting a cutting torch, I'd just assume avoiding gas.

So I should look for flux/wire welder? Any specific voltage/amperage? Like I said before, cheaper the better, but I don't want to buy something that can't handle the job.

Thank for the direction/advice so far, fellas!

tensixniner

Reaction score
Ok, so Brazing isn't as strong then? Good to know.

So what kind of electric welders should I be looking at then? 110 or 220? Amps?

What's the main difference between wire/flux and mig?

Again, this is a budget build and I'll probably be buying used.

Brazing is a different process. It can be strong but it's usually used with a lap joint, surface area is where the strength comes from.
Think of it as soldering but hotter and with a stronger filler metal.
Brazing is done below the melting point of the parent metal.
Welding will melt the parent metal and a filler metal is usually added to the puddle.

MIG is a terrible acronym ... GMAW= Gas Metal Arc Welding ... FCAW = Flux Core Arc Welding, are the proper terms.

If you have 220V ... Use it. More power available and more choices for quality machines.

I have a preference for Miller ... but at least go with a known manufacturer of welders.

Solid wire and flux cored can be used on the same machine it depends on the flux cored wire your using.
My preference is solid wire because it's cleaner.

There is too much for me to explain here and there are so many books already published that will do a much better job. I'll see if I can at least find some links for you to start with.

mudslinger02

Reaction score
Miller can be easier to use for beginners but Lincoln is great too. Depending on budget, I'd look at a Miller 211. Can be used 110v or 220 just by putting a different plug on the cord

Halvy85

Reaction score
I personally prefer Miller for GMAW also and around here they seem to be fairly easy to find used. I would says its definitely easier to learn how to weld first with wire feed welders but if your really on a budget you can pick up a used Lincoln stick welder for next to nothing. I just bought one a few months ago for $50 and it works good. Even new their only a couple hundred dollars. That might leave you enough money to get your oxy/acetylene cutting torch also. I just rent my bottles from a company here for around $100 a yr.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/equipment/stick-welders/Pages/stick-welders.aspx
Check out that AC225. Should be plenty of welder to build a bed with.

Zmann

Reaction score
When I mentioned you would want both I meant

A good oxy/acetylene torch can be a great tool for metal work even if u don't use it to cut

I also grab the cutoff , sawzall ,plasma for those tasks just because it's a clean cut and isn't hot as hell and the affect that can have on the part

and I am not proficient with a torch

I have a Lincoln 110 that has both flux and solid wire options

the reason I went with the 110 is I can use it with my genny for portable repairs

I totally agree about the 220 or a convertible unit

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I say get a 220 AC Stick welder. No gas , and it will weld anything... Not to mention anyone who has used one will tell you , if you can weld AC Stick, you can weld with anything LOL.

sent while looking at a hole in my block

bad12jr

Reaction score
Surf craigslist for a Lincoln tombstone style welder. Ac225 is a popular cheap used stick. If you can find a good deal on an AC/DC one snag it. It will give you a few more options with rod choice. A torch is a good tool but I personally wouldn't wanna braze everything either.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

DBQLSC

Reaction score
If your starting out, get a used ac/dc or dc only stick machine. They are cheap and plentiful, then you can add a tig torch and have a scratch start tig. You can do anything with a tig you can do with a mig plus more, but not vice versa. The mig is just a lot faster.

Latest posts

Members online