Best way to check-out a motor?

JD3020

Reaction score
Whats the best way to check a motor that is on an engine stand without pulling the heads? I have a motor from that i was told had 114k miles, and ran very strong before the bus it was in was scrapped. I trust the guys who told me that, but i just wanna make sure everything is all good before i put any time/money into it. I know Marty has used the starter to crank over engines on stands, but i'm not sure if its something i wanna try. I don't wanna have a 1000lb motor drop onto the ground. LOL

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
oil analysis, maybe. Was it dry or wet. I've broken in several race "gas" motors ( high compression 15:1 ) on a stand without a prob, but never an oil burner.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Compression test and pulling the pan to visiually check internalls should tell you everything u need to know

bigcountrysg

Reaction score
What kind of stand is it on. What is the rating on the stand. If the stand is rated for the wieght of the engine. Then by all means crank it over to see what the compression is.

JD3020

Reaction score
I believe the motor is drained of all fluids. There might be a little oil left in the pan but i can't remember. Its been a while since i've messed with the motor.

Its a 1 ton Harbor Freight stand. I know marty has the same stand and has done compression tests on it. I'm just not sure if i trust it. But i might just man up and try it. LOL

cfdeng7

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the stand if u feel the need strap t down to something

superduty4x4

Reaction score
On the subject of engine stands, I snagged a 1000lb Harbor Freight stand off Craigslist super cheap. Is it going to be skookum enough to hold a PSD, or should I put it back on CL and get the 2k pound flavor?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Mine held fine... was a bitch to turn over...

2591190470100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

CSIPSD

Reaction score
IIRC it is... but I just dont know for sure. I have another one in the shop with another block on it that might be the 1k stand, that one might be the 2k... There all Harbor Freight...

I think I have 3 motors in the shop right now, one windowed and two cores...

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
1000lb variety?

Pictured was a 2k lb stand - it should be fine. I have a 1k lb HF stand and it's base is like a 'I', not like this one. IT IS NOT ADEQUATE to roll a PSD engine upside-down!!! I did it, but used the engine hoist to take as much weight as possible off the stand - and I was still afraid the stand was gonna buckle over.

Keep an eye on CL, I saw a 2k stand the other day for $60 - 'barely used'. People buy these all the time for a project and sell them when they get done with engine-build.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Pictured was a 2k lb stand - it should be fine. I have a 1k lb HF stand and it's base is like a 'I', not like this one. IT IS NOT ADEQUATE to roll a PSD engine upside-down!!! I did it, but used the engine hoist to take as much weight as possible off the stand - and I was still afraid the stand was gonna buckle over.

Keep an eye on CL, I saw a 2k stand the other day for $60 - 'barely used'. People buy these all the time for a project and sell them when they get done with engine-build.
I won't need to flip the motor over, I just need something to hold it. I have the HF 1k variety like you speak of, got it with only 1 use real cheap. Didn't see any of the 2k lb variety when I was looking.

Latest posts

Members online