Damn Powersteering pump.WTF

juniort444e

Reaction score
Ok so my last power steering pump started whinning alot before i started my build. So i took the one off my spare chassis, installed it and filled it, turned the wheels from lock to lock while the front end was off the ground.

Well the newer ish one stills whines not as loud. But the brakes on the other hand are VERYYYY squishy and it wont even get close to lockin them up. I put new pads on the front, and fixed the back left one.

So what is causing them to be so squishy. The pedal can hit the floor and i will still be rolling. :doh: Need some pointers

Austin

Reaction score
You might need to bleed them if you haven't already.

Also, with the whining noise, I found that synthetic ATF fixed my pump whine.

Hope this helps.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Did you mix powersteering fluid and atf.

I did bleed the brakes, and the pump shouldnt be in too bad of shape. It came off the other motor. So my quess would bed either the pump is bad, or whatever else you guys think it could be.

Jake

Reaction score
I use a vacuum pump on the powersteering pump reservoir to get the air out. or you can pull the return line off the pump and pour new fluid or fluid that has had time to degas in the reservoir while the air entrained fluid gets pumped out.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
Did you fix the rear caliper yet? I would bleed the brakes and power steering again. I use atf in the power steering (I think the manual calls for it). Sean and I changed the box on his truck and it took awhile to get the air out. I have another se
rviceable pump if you wanna try changing again.

juniort444e

Reaction score
It started working better today. Brakes are working better for sure. But still not anything to brag about.

I might bleed it all out tomorrow and see if any air gets out.

Yes i did fix the back brake, the slider pins you gave me, i said were wrong ones. Well turns out the back are smaller then the fronts, so i used two pins, and boots. The bottom one was almost frozen, and the lube was cooked really bad. Thanks for the pins and boots. :D

I got the srp1 in today. Might put it on tomorrow too, not sure tho, because i put a drill bit through my hand today, :doh: and i hit a nerve. Hard to bend finger.

But overall it seems the more i drive the truck the better it gets.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
The wife kids and I are at the lake right now going home tomorrow. I can give you a hand if you need it, I can leave the kids with the wife.

I drilled through my finger once too, it sucks. Did you get moved yet?

juniort444e

Reaction score
Most of it. All the heavy or big stuff is moved. Alot of little things and my computer and desk need moved. Im supposed to go back up tomorrow sometime, and help my gf with the rest. Yay. But got alot done. The new apt needs to be organized, we just dumped and ran. Txt me when you get back tomorrow sometime. I def want to run your computer on it, to see whats up. I sent you a pm too.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
what did you lube the pins with? anti sieze will gum up real fast, grease will gum up slower, and vaseline wont gum up at all. i myself use vaseline. you dont need to lubricate the pins, as they hardly move, you need to keep them from freezing. since i switched to vaseline, i havent had a problem.

juniort444e

Reaction score
So today im driving along after my dentist appointment, and go to stop at my barber. Nothing i zip right past it. No brakes.

Ended up getting stopped safely. My dad shows up with the jack and some tools.

Both pistons exploded. The actual metal part of the pistons were destroyed and in many pieces. Craziest thing i ever seen. And the pad was metal. Got it fixed quick and turns out the brakes work like new again. Its been a long day.

juniort444e

Reaction score
It still does whine a little, sounds like the other pump but not as bad. I might swap out the powersteering fluid for trans fluid to see if that helps. It still steers great, the brakes are still working good too.

Whytry

Reaction score
Mine wines really bad it might just be old(190k) I was just seeing if you had fixed it or not. I was told to change the fluid which I did and then to add the lucas stuff but havn't tried that yet.

Latest posts

Members online