Bad PCM??????

willholl79

Reaction score
A relative has on 01 F-350 7.3. The truck shut off pulling into the driveway after a long trip towing. He replaced the CPS, still nothing. Truck turns over fine, but that's it. The tach doesn't budge when cranking, no WTS light, and I tried to hook up my AE scanner and it won't communicate. Fuse for data-port is good.

Am I correct in thinking the PCM is shot?

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
Not that we can tell. Most PCM's that get fried are related to careless chip install/removal. There is always the possibility that a wiring problem caused the issue but there isn't a "normal" cause of a PCM failure.

willholl79

Reaction score
Not that we can tell. Most PCM's that get fried are related to careless chip install/removal. There is always the possibility that a wiring problem caused the issue but there isn't a "normal" cause of a PCM failure.

Ok, thanks for the input. Hopefully a new PCM will bring her back to life. Any wiring to specifically check. I think I remember reading somewhere about a short at the fuel heat at the bowl. Could this cause PCM troubles?

Thanks again.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think I would be checking if there was power to the PCM under those circumstance before I bought a PCM. Does the truck have a chip on it.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
Check the PCM fuse?
PCM power relay?
IDM relay?

I wouldn't jump to throwing a PCM at it.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
if the heater in the fuel bowl goes, it blows fuses attached to the pcm, that in the manual are not related to the pcm in any way. you might try unplugging the heater and checking all the fuses, both under the hood and under the dash, but i dont think thats your issue.

Tom S

Reaction score
Alright, the pcm was blown. Replaced it and blew again immediately.

Can you be more specific on what happened? I think I have the 2002 wiring diagrams uploaded here if you need to start tracing out circuits.

Latest posts

Members online