Water pump problems

Samdust

Reaction score
sitting at home i see this big puddle of coolant under my truck so i look and its dripping off the water pump(i think) so i say no big deal ill got pick one up and put it on. well when i get to the parts house no more leak. i was waiting for it to leak again, and its been 3 days and not one drop. any ideas? i mean does the weep hole seal up again or could it have been a fluke.

abbottfarms

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing a few years back. I changed it out and problem stopped. I guess the weep hole could plug up with grime from being wet.

Tom S

Reaction score
Is there any play in the bearing. I have in the past been able to spot a pump that was on it's way out due to the runout in the pulley.

sgleshot

Reaction score
I just got done dealing with the same thing, would leak randomly. double check your hoses, if they're dry then smash a new pump in it, when you take the old one out I'd be willing to bet the weep hole on the bottom side of the pump will show signs of where it has been leaking for a while, probably in such small amounts that its hard to catch. While your doing the pump might be worth looking into plumbing up a coolant bypass filter. Just sayin.

Samdust

Reaction score
I just got done dealing with the same thing, would leak randomly. double check your hoses, if they're dry then smash a new pump in it, when you take the old one out I'd be willing to bet the weep hole on the bottom side of the pump will show signs of where it has been leaking for a while, probably in such small amounts that its hard to catch. While your doing the pump might be worth looking into plumbing up a coolant bypass filter. Just sayin.
yeah i wish no cash of right now. plus the damn pump is 100 bucks,

SDstroker

Reaction score
Do what the above guys said, hoses, clamps, t stat housing etc...
Mine truck did exactly what yours is doing. Replaced water pump because it was right before a trip and didn't want to be stranded. Pump and bearings all seemed good, but didn't want the risk.
Do a coolant filter when you have funds, well worth the dough.

sgleshot

Reaction score
I think i had $40 in my coolant filter give or take, went with a wix filter and filter head, its what my local parts store stocks, so its easy. youd be amazed at the good stuff that the filter catches. Its 3/8's ntp for the plug on the side of the t-stat housing, then just run a line to the filter head, then cut into the small hose comming off the reservoir and clamp a T fitting in there, hook it all the the filter head and your donezo.