Resurgence of a F100

6speedsd

Reaction score
I think I'm doing all this right. Lol. I've read so many articles and watched so many videos that my head hurts. I think with that huge pattern on top of the valve stem, my best first step would be to shim the rockers up and seeing where I'm at then. If those heads have never been milled, I wouldn't think I'd need anything besides a stock length rod. The block is stock, never machined, so my deck height should be stock as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
It’s about the geometry of the arm to the valve stem head so the rocker isn’t ‘reaching’ too far at open or close. The shims are for tolerance stack and lifter preload. If you get an old flat tappet solid lifter and adjustable rod, you can accurately get your correct rod length.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well I have WAY too much preload, so that's why I figured shims under the rockers would be a good place to start. I'll recheck pushrod length once I get preload right.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well, this finally happened.

https://youtu.be/zmeG-mgF9x8

Sounds like a sowing machine obviously. When it cools down I'm going to adjust the rockers a hair more and see if I can get it quieter. Had a few hiccups on initial start up, but I've been through the cam break in procedure, and even took a little peepaw cruise up the street just to test out the trans....which shifts!! You put it in D, it goes into gear...imagine that! 1-2 shift is harder than I prefer but I can live with it. So far, no leaks, coolant staying about 175 (thought I had a bigger stat in there but whatever).

rusty1161

Reaction score

Sounds like a sowing machine obviously. When it cools down I'm going to adjust the rockers a hair more and see if I can get it quieter. Had a few hiccups on initial start up, but I've been through the cam break in procedure, and even took a little peepaw cruise up the street just to test out the trans....which shifts!! You put it in D, it goes into gear...imagine that! 1-2 shift is harder than I prefer but I can live with it. So far, no leaks, coolant staying about 175 (thought I had a bigger stat in there but whatever).

👍

Rusty

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

That's a beautiful thing! Always a good day when it fires up! Sounds good through the video at least!

live life full throttle

6speedsd

Reaction score
I'll get a better video this weekend maybe. The longtubes definitely changed the loudness factor.

psduser1

Reaction score
Usually there is a "hot lash" measurement, I think. Been a while since I've had to adjust valves, lol.
The shift quality may change after a few (hundred, thousand) miles, I wouldn't sweat that to much. Hp curve can affect shift patterns, also, if you don't already know.
Always a good to see a project moving forward!

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well, funny about the lash. I adjusted and readjusted what seemed like a half dozen times. Finally, for whatever reason, I grabbed one of the pretty tall aluminum valve covers I bought last year that I've been running, and had installed up to this point. Sure enough, there are a couple shiney spots on the high side where a rocker was just barely hitting. Fuggin A! I threw my old stamped steel covers on it and she's as quiet as can be. I'll clean those up and make em purdy again and roll with those until I get a decent set of tall covers. The ones I had on there I got cheap, and this cam has a little more lift which may explain the clearance issues.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Made a better video, but had the phone too far from the truck at the end I think. And that horrible underhood racket is the junk 1 wire alternator about to eat its bearings...again.

https://youtu.be/cVW8fcjlRsc

Last edited:

gwunter

Reaction score
So envious of the body on your truck.

Looking/sounding really good!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
I have some rust spots coming through from the crappy body work that was done before painting. Most of the area above the door where they attempted to shave the drip rail is either rusted through the paint, or has started to bubble. Another spot on the lower door that's rusted through the paint too. And I found an actual 77 front end a few weeks ago, but just haven't had time to make the road trip to go get it all.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Oh I will. I've enjoyed the shiz out of this truck the past year, and this year will be no different. First off is changing back to the original 77 front end, then doing some PTM on the surround, with black grill inserts and bumpers. Hopefully later this summer it's getting lowered...either drop beams or a Crown Vic front clip. Just not sure I want to go as low as a clip would make it...but the improvement in handling would be night and day. Sway bars are a definite want! Body roll sucks ass on this heavy thing. I rebuilt the steering gear box last week, so I'm hoping that tightened the steering up a lot.
Then new rims/tires...probably 20's. It's time for a new direction with it. More muscle truck I guess you could say as opposed to the current state of nostalgia it sits in now with the wide tires and old school 15" Visions.

Of course, none of this will happen anytime soon. Maybe projects for next winter if I can get my ducks in a row before then.

And with all the other ideas bouncing around my messed up noggin, that little spinny thing (as Jake called it) still keeps coming to the forefront.

gwunter

Reaction score
So your going back to the 77 style split grill?

For forced induction are you thinking procharger or turbo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yes, I want the split grill/round headlights. I've wanted to go back to it since I got the truck but have had a hard time finding it all used. I finally found everything I'd need, but it's a couple hours away and the past month has been crazy.

If/when I go big, it'll be turbo. But something mild. Won't be anytime soon though. Part of me wants to mimic the Rotsun that Roadkill did. Junkyard 5.0, slap a junkyard diesel turbo on it and see how long before it goes boom.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Went on a 20 mile cruise today. No issues at all. Rebuilding the steering box made a huge difference. Shifts are harsh with that B&M kit but maybe they'll get better with time. Not quite as peppy as I thought it'd be, but definitely has more balls than before. Coolant stayed low. Idling it'll come up to 175-180. Cruising it might be at 145-150, but it's cold today too...35F. I didn't change the Tstat because it got a new one a couple 1000 miles ago.

I have to get the cab insulated now though. The drone is horrible with the longtubes. Might run the exhaust out the back too if needed. I need a new rubber mat for the floor anyways, and that'd be the perfect time to insulate the floor and back wall. Right now it has NOTHING but that rubber floor mat.

mandkole

Reaction score
The shifts will stay that way.. the c4 in the mustang barked both shifts at wot with the street converter. Went away with the 8”.

6speedsd

Reaction score
These are pretty snappy at part throttle. Itll just take some getting used to I guess. I talked to the B&M guys and said I didn't want my neck snapped around on every shift, and they assured me that wouldn't happen with the shift kit that came in their rebuild kit.

Something I did notice yesterday though....cruising at 75mph, my rpms are up to 3000 now, where before they were at about 2700-2800. That normal for a higher stall converter to change that? I'm assuming the converter is why it changed, considering that's the big change I made with the driveline.

I have a pretty noticable stumble at part throttle too, off idle usually. I had it before the changes, mostly on the 1-2 shift, and assumed it was an issue with the accelerator pump adjustment, so I tightened it up some during the install. Wondering if maybe I need to back off a little. I need to check idle vacuum with this new cam and make sure it's not lower than it was previously.

mandkole

Reaction score
We had snappy part throttle shifts as well. Usually a 1-2 chirp.

Where does the converter flash? Not foot brake rpm, but flash speed. If yours flashes to 2000-2200, then you should have the same cruise rpm you had before. I’d check trans temps also to be sure there’s nothing else going on.

What carb?

Latest posts

Members online