My next turbo

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Give me some insight... i know a tiny bit about turbos but not enough to size one for my setup.

I will have the mount made for the turbo i decide on so thats not a restriction.

I have an hx55 now and its too small, it lights instantly and falls on its face up top.
250/200s are what im running for fuel.

what size wheels? housings? ive heard s472 mentioned as a decent size to go with?

Thanks!

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I would have shopped for a larger housing for the HX55... Did you ever test the drive pressures?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Have you tried a bigger housing on the HX55? What is your boost to drive ratio? What variation of the HX55 do you have (compressor wheel dimensions, turbine wheel dimensions, etc..)?

I would tell you to get a T4 mounted S400 - preferably with an extended tip wheel, divided T4 turbine housing, something like an S472 with an 83mm turbine wheel would light quick and drive well on the street with a .9 T4 housing - but it might choke out a bit on top depending on what your boost and drive are doing.

Another option would be a waste gate.....

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I would have shopped for a larger housing for the HX55... Did you ever test the drive pressures?
I still have the 55 sitting in the shop. So thats still a possibility, exhaust housing is what your referring to? Its got a 19cm on it already, isnt the next size up going to be a 22? That seems awfully large
Have you tried a bigger housing on the HX55? What is your boost to drive ratio? What variation of the HX55 do you have (compressor wheel dimensions, turbine wheel dimensions, etc..)?

I would tell you to get a T4 mounted S400 - preferably with an extended tip wheel, divided T4 turbine housing, something like an S472 with an 83mm turbine wheel would light quick and drive well on the street with a .9 T4 housing - but it might choke out a bit on top depending on what your boost and drive are doing.

Another option would be a waste gate.....
Thanks for the advice!

Dimensions of the hx55 are (this is what i got when i bought it):
Compressor wheel: 66/99
Turbine Wheel: 80/76
19cm Exhaust Housing

So my turbine is a 80mm and you think i should bump up to an 83mm? Maybe that explains why it lights so dang quickly??

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
We have seen very good results with a 74/74 S300 with 200% nozzles. Lights quickly and hits like a "Sledgehammer" which it was aptly named. If you decided to go the S400 route I wouldn't go any larger than 74/88 as it will be slow to light.

Last edited:

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
We have seen very good results with a 74/74 S300 with 200% nozzles. Lights quickly and hits like a "Sledgehammer" which it was aptly named. If you decided to go the S400 route I wouldn't go any larger than 74/88 as anything larger than a 74 exhaust wheel is gonna be slow to light.

I was told to try and stay away from the s300s just because of the small nature of the turbo and a few other reasons. Also that a s400 in some shape or form would be suite and be the longer lasting more durable option? No clue if I was told correctly though.

The wheel on my exhaust turbo now is a 80/76 (do i have that number backwards) you said not to go any larger than a 74/88

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
I was mistaken you are correct..(it has been a long week) the turbine wheel is the second number. Which goes back to your size of 80/76. That is a 76mm turbine wheel which is good, just slightly larger than we normally use. I personally ran the 76/74 on my truck with 300/200% and loved it. It would make 55-60psi of boost at the track but could be driven in a daily tune w/ no smoke and got 14 mpg. And for towing, I never towed over 9k but I was happy with it and the EGT's are very reasonable if you go w/ a .115 housing.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I was mistaken you are correct..(it has been a long week) the turbine wheel is the second number. Which goes back to your size of 80/76. That is a 76mm turbine wheel which is good, just slightly larger than we normally use. I personally ran the 76/74 on my truck with 300/200% and loved it. It would make 55-60psi of boost at the track but could be driven in a daily tune w/ no smoke and got 14 mpg. And for towing, I never towed over 9k but I was happy with it and the EGT's are very reasonable if you go w/ a .115 housing.

Well this 55 i have only builds 40psi with the tuning ive got, and seems like it falls off on top. But it lights instantly....
Is there a reason for that, seems like it doesnt do what your 76 did

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Did you ever check the drive pressures?

I was not able to check it before i pulled the engine out. But now that im about ready to fire it back up im going to have a gauge on the front of the manifold to check this.

I know a guy with a hx50 set up similar, a little smaller though and he was seeing 1:1 up to about 40psi

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Honestly I would just wastegate it... You have a good turbo there, they are tough little SOB's as most Holsets are.

IF you could find a 22cm housing to try, it might be the cats meow.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Honestly I would just wastegate it... You have a good turbo there, they are tough little SOB's as most Holsets are.

IF you could find a 22cm housing to try, it might be the cats meow.

Well you see i already had to rebuild it since ive owned it. It was leaking like a MOFO when i pulled the engine. My drivers side up-pipe was full of oil as was the manifold.
The exhaust housing that it has on it now is very large in physical size as its a wastegated housing, so its obnoxiously large and takes up a lot of room.
I will do some checking into a different housing, sucky thing is i had the chance at a 22cm when i bought the thing and opted for the 19cm just because i was told the 22 would be too large

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Well you see i already had to rebuild it since ive owned it. It was leaking like a MOFO when i pulled the engine. My drivers side up-pipe was full of oil as was the manifold.
The exhaust housing that it has on it now is very large in physical size as its a wastegated housing, so its obnoxiously large and takes up a lot of room.
I will do some checking into a different housing, sucky thing is i had the chance at a 22cm when i bought the thing and opted for the 19cm just because i was told the 22 would be too large

Are you utilizing the internal wastegate then?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Wastegates are not a bad thing, they do what needs to be done. I would get the wastegate working properly.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I dont have an actuator, do you think the fact that there is a gate not being is my problem!?

I think you have an opportunity to dial in a turbo using the parts you have..... even if you only need to buy a $100 wastegate actuator - you will be money and knowledge ahead.

Latest posts

Members online