OBS DP instal.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Here's my exp today laying in the mud and gravel (new shop is 35 miles away). All in all it went pretty good except for my own mistakes.

Before installing top DP check the fit of the collar to the DP, mine was pretty far off inside, some light blows with a rusty ball peen hammer smoothed it out.

100_1222.jpg

And just so you can see why you want to do this, here's what the turbo has to deal with stock.

100_1220.jpg

Unbolting the CAT was where I started (by accident) last night, then top cut on the stock DP, MBRP instructions say start below in front of the CAT but I didn't have enough room.

100_1213.jpg

Then from the bottom.

100_1218.jpg

This went surprisingly fast, I had a rechargeble Ryobi and only used 1 blade and 1 bat. Next was test fitting the top DP. Don't force it down, I did and cost myself 30min getting it back out. See where the interference is and use a pry bar (I used a 5ft piece of 1 1/2 pipe) to smash the pinch weld on the firewall. If the DP doesn't drop in easily you need more clearance. I had mine in and snuged twice before getting it right.

100_1228.jpg

100_1223.jpg

Next was flaring the lower DP for the straight pipe 3 - 3 1/2. Pretty crude but it worked.

100_1229.jpg

Then getting the lower DP welded to the straight pipe that connects to the tail pipe. I went with 3 1/2" to match what I had.

100_1232.jpg

Here was 1 of those measure once cut twice :doh: moments. I got 7ft shoulda got 8.

100_1233.jpg

I hope this will help anyone fearing the DP overcome and get dirty! The whole thing took less than 3 hrs including mistakes.

oneton

Reaction score
dang joedaddy,you shoulda got some greased lightin and a pressure washer on that trans case :rolleyes:

brewer

Reaction score
Good write up, Joe. I'm sure this people will appreciate seeing this if they're planning on doing it (I know I would've). I had the same problem with the DP, I didn't bend it enough, started forcing it in, and then had to take it all back out and start over pretty much. Live and learn I guess.

Many have compared the stock DP to a vacuum bag, which couldn't be more accurateLOL

Did you get the whole exhaust or just the DP?

Last edited:

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Just the dp, the only thing I bent on the DP was the ill-fitting lip left at the union of the upper tube and the collector. The firewall had to be bent.

Latest posts

Members online