Dana 60 front cover

Tom S

Reaction score
As most know I am slowly moving along on my Dana 60 coversion. I ordered one of the thick plain steel covers 707233X which is on it's way. Those are very reasonably priced by the way. I was wondering what other options there might be. I understand that clearance to the steering linkage can be an issue.

Tom

Jake

Reaction score
I am running the one from ballistic fabrication
dana60diffcover.jpg

Tom S

Reaction score
Anyone have a PML one up front? I have one of theirs in the back but their site makes it sound like the front might get close to the steering linkage.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
The Mag-Hytec one I have is VERY thick on the bottom and in the front. You'd really have to hit something hard to smash it. I'd be more worried with hitting my tie rods and stuff if I went off road.

These trucks usually aren't very good rock crawlers anyways.

389sixpack

Reaction score
As most know I am slowly moving along on my Dana 60 coversion. I ordered one of the thick plain steel covers 707233X which is on it's way. Those are very reasonably priced by the way. I was wondering what other options there might be. I understand that clearance to the steering linkage can be an issue.

Tom
Tom I did both my 60 and 80. I can't find the 60 pics right now, but took a 3/8" NPT coupler and welded on the bottom for a drian plug. Worked out great. Then I powder coated them.. Here is the D80 cover. D60 looks similar for drain plug.
D80_Cover_2.jpg

D80_Cover_1.jpg

Tom S

Reaction score
Powdercoating is a decent idea, I have a good guy for that. I also like that drain plug idea.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
From the pic they just look like a factory stamping out of stainless. Definitely be an upgrade from the chrome ones that rust out quickly if you were looking to go that route.

Tom S

Reaction score
Chrome was definately not on the list. Those always end up looking like hell it seems.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
The PML pan shouldn't really protrude out any farther than a stocker as it's only a .6 quart increase. They just made the face flatter instead of more molded like the stock one for the increase.

I would just get the PML to match your rear.

Tom S

Reaction score
They have these comments on the PML site.

The PML Dana 50/60 front differential cover fits 1999 and newer Super Duty Fords and some 1994–2002 Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 vehicles.

On Ford F–250 and F–350 trucks, this front end differential cover is slightly deeper than the stock covers for added fluid capacity.

For 1997 and older F250/350 trucks, this part will not clear the ring gear. Our Dana 60, 70 (P/N 9426) rear cover will clear the ring gear but you will need to check your vehicle for steering linkage clearance with this deeper cover.

The rear cover has the following dimensions.

9426webdim.jpg

My Axle is all getting refinished so I cannot get measurements.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I didn't know there was much of a difference between the SD Dana 60 and the OBS as far as the carrier is concerned. hmm Do you happen to know the difference with the ring gear situation?

I have a '96 F-350 in my shop now with a Dana 60 if you'd like me to get some measurements as well?

Tom S

Reaction score
Maybe it is not the carrier but instead where the face of the gasket surface is. I would like a measurement. I am assume you need the wheels turned all the way to one side to see how close it gets.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Yeah I'll turn it both ways and make sure it isn't under 4" each way. I'll try to get it done in the morning.

Peroni

Reaction score
I have the Kentrol cover on my truck. It is a factory copy from stainless steel but it is a little thicker material, I did not measure the difference. I sanded and painted mine. Now when the paint gets chipped and dinged I wont get rust spots unlike the steel cover.

Latest posts

Members online