Esof 4x4 issue

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues with esof while driving? Mine will not engage anymore while driving. Message pops up saying shift in progress but then nothing happens. I slow down to a crawl or stop and then it says shift delayed pull forward and even then it doesn't do it. I shift to low and it goes in low then back to hi lock and it goes in. Wtf.. i figured out that it will go into 4x4 hi when im at a dead stop or in park and it engages fast. But when i try to engage while driving it still doesnt do it till i slow down or stop and i move the shift dial back to 2H then back to 4H. Has anyone else experienced this? And is there a way to fix it so that i actually have esof back?

live life full throttle

Jomax

Reaction score
Haven’t experienced this.. hopefully someone who has chimes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Haven’t experienced this.. hopefully someone who has chimes in.

Yeah me too.. no idea why its doing it. Never had an issue till just a couple days ago when i needed it to pull out of a driveway that got plowed full of snow... figured that maybe it was froze up and i left it in our shop at work overnight and it still does it.. but i guess it still goes in. Just cant be moving while trying to do so.

live life full throttle

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Seen a decent amount of shift motor fail on these and the f150s, they usually do similiar to what youre talking about when they fail. Any codes?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Seen a decent amount of shift motor fail on these and the f150s, they usually do similiar to what youre talking about when they fail. Any codes?
No hard codes that show up on dash. Guess i need to update forscan to the latest revision and check it out. Not sure if the app can pull up soft codes or not.

live life full throttle

Ciras

Reaction score
No hard codes that show up on dash. Guess i need to update forscan to the latest revision and check it out. Not sure if the app can pull up soft codes or not.

live life full throttle

Forscan will show DTCs that do not display a CEL.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
When I tore apart my 2006 hubs (yea, not much has changed I bet) I got a good idea of how the ESOF works. The biggest issue I could say is the splines are not aligning (usually accompanied by noise), a vacuum issue (possible for you but you are able to lock in at some point), or the internals are needing some cleaning/inspection.

I'd suggest some time under the front of the truck. Get the whole front axle on jack stands to see what you can troubleshoot. Pretty simple process all in all.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
When I tore apart my 2006 hubs (yea, not much has changed I bet) I got a good idea of how the ESOF works. The biggest issue I could say is the splines are not aligning (usually accompanied by noise), a vacuum issue (possible for you but you are able to lock in at some point), or the internals are needing some cleaning/inspection.

I'd suggest some time under the front of the truck. Get the whole front axle on jack stands to see what you can troubleshoot. Pretty simple process all in all.
I dont believe its the front end. I believe its at the t case. I can lock it in manually and it does the same thing.

live life full throttle

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Typically a hub problem will not cause the 4x4 shift to not occur. It will still shift into 4x4, but since the front isnt locked, it will act like 2wd.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Typically a hub problem will not cause the 4x4 shift to not occur. It will still shift into 4x4, but since the front isnt locked, it will act like 2wd.
No codes what so ever that has to do with the tccm or 4x4 stuff.. Im sitting here now with forscan connected. Only thing that comes up is the fuel temp sensor fault i have been having and a ignition short to ground thing but i am pretty sure that is from my aftermarket arctic start remote start.

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
These are it. Minus the fuel temp sensor dtc.
31e816ede0c0462acd6175f1d5ef730a.jpg
a94543576a0f9c7b0fc7aaeea1bf2959.jpg

live life full throttle

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Nothing really to worry about with either of those. Pull the shift motor, and use a crescent wrench to ensure the transfer case will shift. Had a few fire trucks grenade the t case, but theyre hard as *** on them, whereas i would guess you are not as hard, mostly because your teuck weighs half of what theirs do...

As long as it manually shofts, id put a shift motor in it. Make sure its fully plugged in as well.

As for your frt sensor code, is that where sotf is tied into? That code throws since its unplugged.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Nothing really to worry about with either of those. Pull the shift motor, and use a crescent wrench to ensure the transfer case will shift. Had a few fire trucks grenade the t case, but theyre hard as *** on them, whereas i would guess you are not as hard, mostly because your teuck weighs half of what theirs do...

As long as it manually shofts, id put a shift motor in it. Make sure its fully plugged in as well.

As for your frt sensor code, is that where sotf is tied into? That code throws since its unplugged.
After i got foracan on it to monitor its actions, it didn't miss a beat. Not sure if it is just the first activation of the day that makes it lazy or what now. While monitoring everything that has to do with the tccm, it says it engages instantly, but slowly activates at times while driving. Also can hear it clunk into gear like before. Ill try it again today in the first activation to see what it says.. i just need to charge my laptop.

live life full throttle

Jomax

Reaction score
And if you would, please quote my post so i get a notification so i dont wait 14 hrs to respond.

live life full throttle

Make tapatalk notify you when someone responds in your thread.. slacker !

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.