Help blue smoke issue

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Help

******d, 169xxx miles.

Truck makes visible white smoke at idle in the mornings. I suspect it is still doing it once warm but it’s not noticeable. Exhaust smells terrible. I suspect ither leaking injectors or turbo seal.

-Ebp,map and baro all check out.
-Power balance showes no issues.
-No bubbles in fuel bowl.

During the KOER test it smokes a good amout (
test was performed at 120* because the symptoms disappear At operating temp) the smokes subsides substantively when the test finishes.

Video attached of power balance and koer test.

Anything else I can check before I start replacing chit.
cc06d820f70d5f626582f36700275852.jpg
3bcfb5bf7926518380ed9b9fe07bc003.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Pretty much been doing it since I bought it. About 8 months ago

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Stiction im sure simce it doesn't do it after it gets past 120..

What oil are you running in it?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Rotella t6 5/40 w revx

Oh god. You can put lipstick on a pig buuuuttt..... its still a pig.

It is probably to far gone at this point but i would get some lubrication engineers 8700 15w40 or 8854 5w40 and try that first...

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Oh god. You can put lipstick on a pig buuuuttt..... its still a pig.

It is probably to far gone at this point but i would get some lubrication engineers 8700 15w40 or 8854 5w40 and try that first...

Interesting, I definitely did some research and thought the t6 was a quality oil. I was previously using mobile 1 tdt.

Zeb

Reaction score
This isn’t an oil or stiction issue. If it were it would be running rough on startup.

Blue smoke with a strong fuel smell is a nozzle or spring (fuel side of the injector) issue. Much more prevalent on a 7.3, but still see it from time to time on the 6.0.

What happens is, if the nozzle spring is weak or broken it allows the pintle to lift prematurely and when the engine is cold if makes for a lot more smoke. If the pintle, or pintle seat is worn it can allow the nozzle to “dribble” and you get the much the same symptoms. Either issue can cause a much stronger fuel smell than normal in the exhaust when they are warm, even though the smoke isn’t as readily visible.

It can be a tune issue if it’s tuned. To rule that out return it to stock and see if it still does it.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
This isn’t an oil or stiction issue. If it were it would be running rough on startup.

Blue smoke with a strong fuel smell is a nozzle or spring (fuel side of the injector) issue. Much more prevalent on a 7.3, but still see it from time to time on the 6.0.

What happens is, if the nozzle spring is weak or broken it allows the pintle to lift prematurely and when the engine is cold if makes for a lot more smoke. If the pintle, or pintle seat is worn it can allow the nozzle to “dribble” and you get the much the same symptoms. Either issue can cause a much stronger fuel smell than normal in the exhaust when they are warm, even though the smoke isn’t as readily visible.

It can be a tune issue if it’s tuned. To rule that out return it to stock and see if it still does it.

I will try that this morning,

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Same result, I’m contemplating just selling it and buying a mid mileage ‘16 6.7.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Same result, I’m contemplating just selling it and buying a mid mileage ‘16 6.7.

If you do that then you maybe buying someone else's problems. Like what it sounds like you have already done with this truck. I would look into how much it would cost to do the repair and do it yourself, if you're not real confident then buy some beers and have some people come over that know what they're doing and get their help. If you do it yourself it will be a lot cheaper than paying a shop to do it for you.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
If you do that then you maybe buying someone else's problems. Like what it sounds like you have already done with this truck. I would look into how much it would cost to do the repair and do it yourself, if you're not real confident then buy some beers and have some people come over that know what they're doing and get their help. If you do it yourself it will be a lot cheaper than paying a shop to do it for you.

I have no problem doing the repairs, I did a full cab off stud job on my last 6.0. It’s more of a concern of continuing to dump money into it. My wife hates riding in it because at stoplights exhaust gas gets in the cab. It needs manifold gaskets, up pipes (potentially), new set of injectors, new steering box, probably a turbo rebuild while I’m at it.

That’s all I can think of currently.

I found a 2016 f350 lariat ultimate w/100k on it for 34,600. They are offering 9500 for my truck.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

Even if it clears up after warmup?
+1 - not an oil or stiction issue.
Same for you.

If it did it constantly then wouldn't it be the issues as to whay zeb said?
I have no problem doing the repairs, I did a full cab off stud job on my last 6.0. It’s more of a concern of continuing to dump money into it. My wife hates riding in it because at stoplights exhaust gas gets in the cab. It needs manifold gaskets, up pipes (potentially), new set of injectors, new steering box, probably a turbo rebuild while I’m at it.

That’s all I can think of currently.

I found a 2016 f350 lariat ultimate w/100k on it for 34,600. They are offering 9500 for my truck.

Dude! If you can swing it, i wouldnt be afraid! After i wrecked my 12 i found a 15 lariat with that many miles and put a good set of diet tunes on it after i got it(went on a diet with a fleet tune from the place i got it at 109k) and poured the LE full torque to it and cleaned it out with a few tanks of fuel and a oil change to LE 8854 5w40 and put almost 40k on it since and it seams to be doing just fine and running better and better.

bismic

Reaction score
I agree w/ Zeb - the OP didn't say anything about hard start when cold or rough running once started. Stiction will usually cause these issues as well as the white smoke.

For the description, the smoke / unburned fuel is pretty significant.

From that, IMO it is a full blown injector issue.

Latest posts

Members online